Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Dave B
07-26-2001, 06:13 PM
The Iowa Chapter BMW CCA driving school will be on Saturday, September 15 at the BMW Performance Center next to the BMW factory in Greenville/Spartanburg, SC. The cost is $200 per student. It will be an all day event, starting with a brief classroom introduction to the planned day's events. Lunch is included. Spouses and significant otheres are encouraged to particiate as students in this driver's training event. <p>We will use 330Ci cars owned by BMW with two students sharing each car. There will be a total of 20 students, 10 cars, and three to four instructors, who will use cars designated for their use only. Instructors are qualified racing drivers, and some have even run their own race driving school. Each car will have a two way radio for instructions and questions. <p>The track consists of a large ovoid shape, actually more of an elongated kidney bean shape (how appropriate), with other exercises located within the interior of the track. There will be a switch in each car to disable both the ABS braking system and the DSC stability control system. These switches will be used for various portions of the school. There is a wet skid pad exercise, an emergency lane change exercise, a "water wall" exercise with a series of water jets embedded in the pavement that can be activated as one drives through the course from a control station. The idea is to demonstrate emergency turning with no warning. There is a slalom course, and other exercises. The last two times we went there, they let us also drive the X5 through their "Other Roads" course, two in each vehicle as before, which is an experience in itself. At the end of the school there is a timed slalom competition.<p>In the past we put together a package deal that included group air fare, ground transportation, a factory tour, and a dinner for about $500 each for Iowa Chapter members. We will not provide these services this year. Everyone will meet at the Performance Center at 8:00 a.m. for the school. Transportation, lodging, and the factory tour are the responsibility of the individuals students. <p>Keep in mind that the factory tours are not given on Sundays, and should be reserved in advance. Since the new National Offices of the BMW Car Club will be hosting their grand opening celebration on Friday, September 14 in Greenville, SC, tours on that day are already booked. If you want to tour the factory during the week before the driving school, you should call for reservations ASAP. <p>Let me know if you are interested or have any questions. If you want to reserve a spot in the school, please send a check or money order made out to "Iowa Chapter, BMW CCA" to me and your spot(s) will be reserved upon receipt. As of this writing there are still some spots left. We will go by earliest postmark if there are more people interested than we have space for. If you would like some phone information, please e-mail me with your phone number and a preferred time for me to contact you.<br>There are some folks signed up to participate in the school who live in the general area wh intend to drive there. I will try to put those who are flying to Greenville in touch with those driving there in hopes of arranging some local transportation to the Performance Center that day.<p>Dave Brennan<br>President<br>Iowa Chapter BMW CCA<br>Post Office Box 42113<br>Des Moines, IA 50322<br>bmwia.org<p>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index