Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Matt McGinn
07-31-2001, 08:40 AM
I have a chance to purchase a 79 528...I am going to offer a hundred bucks for it...The reason its so cheap is that the automatic gave up the ghost and resides now in the trunk...owner has either not the motivation or money to fix it.<p>The car is extraordinarily clean, 109K, never any rust, never any accidents...which is exceedingly rare here in the Northeast<p>So, here is my question, if I can land this car cheap, I'd plan on installing a manual box, what are the options here? I'd like a 5-speed as opposed to a 4, what will fit? Obviously, a stock 4-speed, but will a 5-speed fit from a e28?<p>Also, do any of you know the towing capacity of this car, say, theoretically, equipped with a 5-speed and heavy duty clutch and some HD shocks? <p>TIA <br>Matt

adam
07-31-2001, 09:08 AM
Is that the gold one for sale in storrs? I drive by it every day. Nice car. I think it's from california.

adam
07-31-2001, 09:08 AM
Is that the gold one for sale in storrs? I drive by it every day. Nice car. I think it's from california.

Matt McGinn
07-31-2001, 10:19 AM
that is the one...took a ride thru UCONN yesterday with my wife and spied it...I totally do not need the car though...</i><br>

Mike W.
08-01-2001, 12:59 AM
<Your options are the 4 speed from 72 on or a 5 speed from the 80-81 528i, the later e-28 transmissions will bolt up but do not have a speedometer drive as the e-28's have an electronic speedo. There are also driveshaft issues, but an auto d/s will work with a 5-speed. I looked in an 80 528i owners manual I have but didn't see a listing for towing capacity, but I would feel safe for probably 2000 to 2500 for moderate distances which is probably over ratings, but make sure the cooling system is in good shape, you would be working it hard. By the way, I have owned a bunch of BMW's and my 79 528i was the best of the bunch, it did everything well and was exceptionally reliable. It ceased to be my daily driver when I was rear ended in Las Vegas on vacation by a pickup truck, however I drove home (700 miles) and he was behind a tow truck.<p>Mike W.

Karl
08-01-2001, 04:32 PM
<i><br>[snip]<br>So, here is my question, if I can land this car cheap, I'd plan on installing a manual box, what are the options here? I'd like a 5-speed as opposed to a 4, what will fit? Obviously, a stock 4-speed, but will a 5-speed fit from a e28?<p>Also, do any of you know the towing capacity of this car, say, theoretically, equipped with a 5-speed and heavy duty clutch and some HD shocks? <p>TIA <br>Matt <p></i><br>Either the 4-speed or 5-speed from big six engines will fit. The simplest would be to get the transmission and matching drive shaft from another e12 car.<p>As far as capacity, I saw a 528 used as a tow car for formula vee (on a trailer of course).

Matt McGinn
08-03-2001, 10:18 AM
<i><p>[snip]<br>So, here is my question, if I can land this car cheap, I'd plan on installing a manual box, what are the options here? I'd like a 5-speed as opposed to a 4, what will fit? Obviously, a stock 4-speed, but will a 5-speed fit from a e28?<p>Also, do any of you know the towing capacity of this car, say, theoretically, equipped with a 5-speed and heavy duty clutch and some HD shocks? <p>TIA <br>Matt <p><br>Either the 4-speed or 5-speed from big six engines will fit. The simplest would be to get the transmission and matching drive shaft from another e12 car.<p>As far as capacity, I saw a 528 used as a tow car for formula vee (on a trailer of course).<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index