Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Augelle Daigle
08-10-2001, 01:47 PM
Looking into purchasing a 1981 BMW, 4 door, standard transmission. Would appreciate any comments as to the quality of this car. Is it a good year, bad year, ect.?<p>

Karl
08-10-2001, 05:28 PM
<i><br>Looking into purchasing a 1981 BMW, 4 door, standard transmission. Would appreciate any comments as to the quality of this car. Is it a good year, bad year, ect.?<p></i><br>Most feel that the 80-81 is the best of the e12 series due to 5-speed trans and 2.8L engine (79-81). I've had a great time with mine for several years. Engine and trans are bulletproof with standard maintenance. Rings and bearings generally last through two valve jobs. Cars have no sneaky rust spots. Look over the usual places, fender lips, rocker panels, door edges, etc. Brakes are more robust than later e28 cars. Only real weak spot is where the differential fastens to floor of the trunk (mine was repaired there when I bought it). Fix is discussed in the FAQ in firstfives.org.

Karim
08-13-2001, 01:19 PM
<i><br>Looking into purchasing a 1981 BMW, 4 door, standard transmission. Would appreciate any comments as to the quality of this car. Is it a good year, bad year, ect.?<p></i><br>They are are F***** awasom car to drive And when I got mine it had a M535 suspension and the motor was built and I had alot of fun but the only compmaint I had with this car is the COOOOLING probelm

Mike W.
08-15-2001, 01:20 AM
Just drove my old 79 528i tonight with 350k on the clock these days. Its the kids car now but I came away saying, what a great car that is, it really drives great, it actually runs better than my 85 535i. I'm sure my wife got tired of hearing me say it but it really is a great car!<p>Mike W.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index