Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Derek
08-21-2001, 09:29 AM
I noticed that both of my instrument panel lights that illuminate the gauges in the dash have burnt out in my 1976 530i. The lights behind the fan control and heater control have also gone out.(The fuse is fine). I would welcome any advice on how to remove the parts required to access these bulbs to replace them. Is this a big job that I should leave to a BMW dealer or is it something that most of us could do on there own. Do I need to remove the complete dash assembly or just the lower part of the dash? Any tips on tricky steps to complete this task would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellow E12'ers.

E12er
08-22-2001, 03:44 PM
Do it yourself! But you want to change EVERY light back there. I will go home and look in my shop manual for instructions. If I find there is a detailed section on this I can run copies for you. Where are you located. I have a ton of spare bulbs, the guy I bought the car from really collected stuff, so if there are some you can't find I'll help. IMHO this is the kind of repair that you have to do yourself. It WILL take time, and @ $70/hr at a cheap shop, why bother. If a shop does it, and its not quite right, they don't give a shiot, if you do it and its not quite right you will have the pride enough to take it apart and do it again. Good luck, and I'll respond tonight if I have some useful instructions.<br>Dean

Derek
08-23-2001, 09:12 AM
Hi Dean,<br>Thanks for the advice. I will tackle this one on my own. I have most of the bulbs already and I even found some instructions in my Haynes manual.<br>However, the section that describes how to remove the heater fan, heater setting and clock section<br>is missing. I think I'll be OK with the instrument panel, but if you have any instructions<br>on replacing the bulbs behind the heater controls, that would be great. I am located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada so if you could just post the instructions on the message board, that would be great. Alternatively, I have a fax number that I can give you if you e-mail me privately.<br>Thanks again Dean.

E12er
08-23-2001, 11:50 AM
I tried to change my clock out two weekends ago, and couldn't figure it out. The knobs are connected to manual translators and I had tons of trouble making space. There was a plug back there that stopped me from getting the old clock out. After hours of fighting I cleaned everything I could and stuck it back together. I am at a loss with this part. Wish I could help more but that part, and the lower dash, are my biggest upsets on my car. Good luck<br>

Karl
08-24-2001, 04:42 PM
The trick to the heater control panel is that the screws that hold the panel are behind the knobs, a couple screws in the top edge are visible, but pull the knobs to get the screws that hold the lower part. Then there's just one little bulb and light pipes to everything. Pretty slick, but not much room to stick your fingers in and work.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index