Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Peter Paglia
08-25-2001, 10:54 AM
I'm about to buy my first BMW, 530i, automatic, fully loaded. I live in Boston and winter driving can be tricky, epecially in a rear wheel drive vehicle.<p>Before I buy the car, I'm very interested in getting feedback regarding how the car drives in the snow. The car comes with Michelin P225/55/R16 tires.<p>Comments?

Fly
08-25-2001, 11:13 AM
It's a great car and very reliable, a great beater if it's cheap and already rusty. If not and you drive it in salted conditions it will be rusty soon. Many folks like the Hakkapalettas for the snow. I would not drive it regularly w/o snows. A 325ix would be ideal but are more like $6-8k in good shape. Supposedly they are unstoppable in the slippery stuff. Do a prepurchase inspection though, they are invaluable.<p>Good luck,<p>John<br>I'm about to buy my first BMW, 530i, automatic, fully loaded. I live in Boston and winter driving can be tricky, epecially in a rear wheel drive vehicle.<p>Before I buy the car, I'm very interested in getting feedback regarding how the car drives in the snow. The car comes with Michelin P225/55/R16 tires.<p>Comments?<p></i><br>

Karl
08-25-2001, 02:22 PM
In your area it's best to have summer and winter sets of tires. (I even do that in Kansas) You'll want real snow tires, stock width, on stock rims. <p>Real snow tires will even get some traction on ice.<br>Stock width will get through the crud to pavement better than the wider tires on the car now.<br>Stock rims are cheap, because so many people take them off to put on larger wheels.<p>It is, as you noted, a rear-wheel drive car. But it will not be a problem if driven accordingly. I also toss a bundle of shingles in the trunk for ballast and a traction mat since my employer doesn't plow the parking lot--it will usually melt in a couple days.

Billy Minder
08-26-2001, 06:05 PM
I put studded snows on all 4 corners. After that it was like a cat on drapes. It was better than my front wheel drive car.<p>But the question is, do they allow studded tires in Boston, in the People's Republic of Taxachusetts?<p>Things are a little different in Wyoming where I live.

Karim
08-26-2001, 09:37 PM
it can be fun if you get alot of open space to drive in it, but a set oF Rallly Tires in the rear with a sand bag that weighs 150lbs. the trick is not to put the bag in the trunk center it in the rear passenger area on top of the Drive sahft tunnel inside the car. Hope this works.

Karim
08-26-2001, 09:37 PM
it can be fun if you get alot of open space to drive in it, but a set oF Rallly Tires in the rear with a sand bag that weighs 150lbs. the trick is not to put the bag in the trunk center it in the rear passenger area on top of the Drive sahft tunnel inside the car. Hope this works.<p>also is the car AUTO or Stick ?????<p>

Derek
08-27-2001, 11:06 AM
<i><br>Hi,<br>I drive a 76 530i in Canada during the winter. Actually, my E12 runs and drives BETTER in the winter than the summer. I bought a complete set of Bridgestone Blizzak tires and they are incredible. The stock size is 190-70R-14 and I run them on the original steel rims. These tires actually stick to ice and snow and I have not once <br>been stuck in the snow. Here in western Canada we often experience blizzards and heavy periods of snowfall and often, I am driving around in these conditions with the snowplows and 4x4's while everyone else who owns a sedan is stuck at home.<br>With the Blizzak tires and the approximate 3300 lbs that the car weighs, I don't even have to add sandbags or "shingles" for weight. Get some Blizzaks and you'll love driving your E-12 in the winter.<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index