Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

matthew voss
08-30-2001, 08:22 AM
I have a '79 528i 4 spd. Some past owner lost ignition keys so installed a toggle switch for "on" power and a starter switch. Absolutely no problems with this in the 8 months I have had the car.<p>Yesterday was driving and suddenly the battery light went red and the car just died. Immediately tried to restart and it started up and died again. (It reminds me of a problem I had in high school with the voltage regulator on a Plymouth Cuda.)<p>Here's the interesting stuff: until last night with the toggle in the "on" position I could roll up elec. windows, turn signals work, etc. Not now. The only way to get the windows up was to keep the starter button pressed in.<p>The dome light still works, the trunk light still works, the clock still works. Th electric fuel pump fuse is good.<p>As mentioned car will start up and immediately quit. Full tank of gas.<p>Previous day battery did die after lights left on but with a jump it immediately fired up. Sat for a night and started right up the next morning.<p>The car is sitting in an area I would rather it not stay at too long, so please any ideas?! <br>

Colin
08-30-2001, 01:39 PM
<i><br></i>The power on/off switch is not supplying power to the electrical system when it is in the on position. That's why your accessories don't work. When you press the starter switch, it completes the "bad" circuit, which allows the engine to run until you release the switch, then it dies. Either the on/off switch is bad, a wire has come disconnected, or a fuse is blown somewhere.<br>Good Luck<br>Colin<br>

matthew voss
08-31-2001, 08:34 AM
<i>Thanks. I am replacing the on off switch today with a 35 amp model. I will also be looking into replacing the ignition switch (not the cylinder) if i can locate one.<p>The power on/off switch is not supplying power to the electrical system when it is in the on position. That's why your accessories don't work. When you press the starter switch, it completes the "bad" circuit, which allows the engine to run until you release the switch, then it dies. Either the on/off switch is bad, a wire has come disconnected, or a fuse is blown somewhere.<br>Good Luck<br>Colin<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index