Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : warm start problems

Stephen Hill
04-20-1999, 11:44 AM
I just put an 81 e21 back on the road after getting a hardware transfusion from a rusty parts car that had some fabulous mechanicals.<p>The car runs great. Starts easily when stone cold. <p>Here's the rub, it just won't warm start unless it cranks for 30 to 60 seconds straight. I don't want to wear out the starter.<p>The cold start injector is new and the temp switch is new as well.<p>One odd thing, during initial warm-up, the idle is text book. stays high until warm then drops down to @900rpm. But after diving for awhile, the idle goes up to @1400 and won't go down.<p>I'm a photographer and need to shut the car down and park frequently. Please help me so I can drive my Bimmer!

schem
04-22-1999, 11:44 PM
<i>: I just put an 81 e21 back on the road after getting a hardware transfusion from a rusty parts car that had some fabulous mechanicals.<p>: The car runs great. Starts easily when stone cold. <p>: Here's the rub, it just won't warm start unless it cranks for 30 to 60 seconds straight. I don't want to wear out the starter.<p>: The cold start injector is new and the temp switch is new as well.<p>: One odd thing, during initial warm-up, the idle is text book. stays high until warm then drops down to @900rpm. But after diving for awhile, the idle goes up to @1400 and won't go down.<p>: I'm a photographer and need to shut the car down and park frequently. Please help me so I can drive my Bimmer!<p></i>If the car has a zenith carburator in it, it could be flooding at idle, and when turned of after the car has warmed up.

Andrew
04-23-1999, 09:20 PM
I had a 81 that did exactly the same thing. The biggest thing that ever seems to effect starting on cis cars is vacuum leaks. If you ever have a problem starting look for vacuum leaks. The easiest way I think to look for this is to get a can of starter fluid and start spraying it on parts of the induction system while the car is running at an idle and if the engine picks up or changes sound than on whatever you just sprayed has a vacuum leak

Andrew
04-23-1999, 09:20 PM
I had a 81 that did exactly the same thing. The biggest thing that ever seems to effect starting on cis cars is vacuum leaks. If you ever have a problem starting look for vacuum leaks. The easiest way I think to look for this is to get a can of starter fluid and start spraying it on parts of the induction system while the car is running at an idle and if the engine picks up or changes sound than on whatever you just sprayed has a vacuum leak

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index