Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Todd Baker
08-09-1999, 12:09 AM
I have an '83 320id with 233K miles. The car still runs but recently not very fast. The problem is the only way it will move these days is if I run the RPM's up to about 5000. Then the car will move very slowly. Does this mean I need to replace the clutch?, or should I be looking at some of the cylinders. I have no problem shifting the gears so I don't beleive I have a cylinder probelm. How hard is it to replace the clutch??<p>TB

MikeM
08-09-1999, 09:26 AM
I blew a clutch on a Mazda 626 turbo within 3 months after I got it. The thing started slipping more and more and finally was similar to what you describe. <p>If you are fairly experienced, the clutch job is fairly simple. On a car where all the bolts aren't stuck in place and proper tools are available, this is a 2-3 hour job. HOWEVER, the first time I dropped a transmission it took a lot longer. Gauge whether you want to do it based on your skill and experience. Go buy a 320i repair manual if you are going to do it yourself. Repair shops are pretty reasonable for this type of job if you are unsure. It will probably cost $300-$400 depending on parts etc.<p>Best of luck.<br>Mike Matison

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index