Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Eric Adair
09-25-1999, 05:28 PM
I've got a friend with a 1980 320i that simply will not start. It died suddenly in traffic, and has not run since. Vital stats:<p>There is spark and air. Engine runs momentarily if ether is sprayed into intake.<p>There is fuel pressure. The fuel pump runs, and if one disconnects the input hose from the fuel distributor, fuel sprays.<p>No fuel is getting to the cylinders. If you pull an injector, not a drop of fuel comes out no matter how much time you spend cranking.<p>Are there other factors here? From my understanding, Bosch K-Jetronic is a fairly simple FI system. Am I missing something?<p>Thanks in advance for any advice.<p>Eric Adair<p>

herr Guteschraubenschlüssel
09-28-1999, 07:28 AM
<i>: I've got a friend with a 1980 320i that simply will not start. It died suddenly in traffic, and has not run since. Vital stats:<p>: There is spark and air. Engine runs momentarily if ether is sprayed into intake.<p>: There is fuel pressure. The fuel pump runs, and if one disconnects the input hose from the fuel distributor, fuel sprays.<p>: No fuel is getting to the cylinders. If you pull an injector, not a drop of fuel comes out no matter how much time you spend cranking.<p>: Are there other factors here? From my understanding, Bosch K-Jetronic is a fairly simple FI system. Am I missing something?<p>: Thanks in advance for any advice.<p>: Eric Adair<p></i><p><br>I've not looked at that specific model year, but on the k-jetronics I once had on a '76 Volvo and '76 VW, I seem to remember that there was a pressure regulator/accumulator gadget which, if it stuck open or ruptured its diaphragm, would allow the fuel from the pump to just do a complete 360 and return to the tank via a return line without ever pressurizing the injectors. Best you get yourself a manual before proceeding further.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index