Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : RUST! argh....

Lance
05-22-2001, 01:16 PM
Was replacing the slave cylinder this weekend. Went to put car on jack stands, at the load bearing points, when suddenly.............crunch.<p>My driver's side point imploded. <p>I know I have some rust in the fender area, just aft of the wheel well, but I didn't think it was this bad underneath (behind the fender area where you can't see)<p>My question: Is this repairable? I am not afraid of body work, and planned on getting in there this Fall. I actually just got a replacement fender (new). I had planned on cutting out rust behind the fender, and welding in some new steel. But now I am wondering what to do....is it worth it? Am I just chasing my tail? I am now prepared to replace the floor pan, and rebuild this load bearing point. There is no rust in the rear shock towers or anywhere else.....just the front fenders / aft of fenders.<p>Please help

DHoang
05-22-2001, 02:17 PM
Man, everything on the e21 is repairable. That's the beauty of owning one of these classics.<p>THe area that I "think" your jack poked through is the cover for the side member. This is a formed sheetmetal skin, which can be replaced once the old one is cut out. If you can imagine how rain gutters are mounted in-line, then that's how this part gets fastened back onto the car. A spacer, about two to four inches will need to be fabbed to contour the inside perimeter of the new cover for the side member. Then you slide 1/2 of the spacer/reinforcement strip so that it's underneath the old cover (sasumes that the defective area has been cut away, leaving good sheetmetal remaining) and spot weld it into place. The second spacer/reinforcement is then spot welded onto the other end. The new cover then lays over the extensions of the two spacers and then a bead welded into place. That takes care of the two ends. Along the top, this gets spot welded (this makes the bottom edge seam that the door gaskets and side threshold trim slips onto). <br>Grind the weld seams, and coat the joint areas w/ zinc powder paint. I think that's it. As far as getting replacement sheetmetal, I'm sure you can buy new parts that will no doubt run the length of the rocker panel between wheel to wheel, but depending on the amount of sheetmetal that's cut off, it may be worth it to just find good sheetmetal off of a donor and cut out what's needed. This is a judgement call; no telling what condition donor sheetmetal is in....

Lance
05-22-2001, 02:37 PM
<i><br>Man, everything on the e21 is repairable. That's the beauty of owning one of these classics.<p>THe area that I "think" your jack poked through is the cover for the side member. This is a formed sheetmetal skin, which can be replaced once the old one is cut out. If you can imagine how rain gutters are mounted in-line, then that's how this part gets fastened back onto the car. A spacer, about two to four inches will need to be fabbed to contour the inside perimeter of the new cover for the side member. Then you slide 1/2 of the spacer/reinforcement strip so that it's underneath the old cover (sasumes that the defective area has been cut away, leaving good sheetmetal remaining) and spot weld it into place. The second spacer/reinforcement is then spot welded onto the other end. The new cover then lays over the extensions of the two spacers and then a bead welded into place. That takes care of the two ends. Along the top, this gets spot welded (this makes the bottom edge seam that the door gaskets and side threshold trim slips onto). <br>Grind the weld seams, and coat the joint areas w/ zinc powder paint. I think that's it. As far as getting replacement sheetmetal, I'm sure you can buy new parts that will no doubt run the length of the rocker panel between wheel to wheel, but depending on the amount of sheetmetal that's cut off, it may be worth it to just find good sheetmetal off of a donor and cut out what's needed. This is a judgement call; no telling what condition donor sheetmetal is in....<p></i><br>

Lance
05-22-2001, 02:39 PM
Sounds like you've been in there before. I was concerned that my car may be SOL. But it sounds like all is not that bad. Any idea what gauge steel is used in this area, and your thoughts on possibly stiffening it up with the next heavier gauge? What about reinforcing the jack point with some L channel or other steel? just curious.<p><i><br>Man, everything on the e21 is repairable. That's the beauty of owning one of these classics.<p>THe area that I "think" your jack poked through is the cover for the side member. This is a formed sheetmetal skin, which can be replaced once the old one is cut out. If you can imagine how rain gutters are mounted in-line, then that's how this part gets fastened back onto the car. A spacer, about two to four inches will need to be fabbed to contour the inside perimeter of the new cover for the side member. Then you slide 1/2 of the spacer/reinforcement strip so that it's underneath the old cover (sasumes that the defective area has been cut away, leaving good sheetmetal remaining) and spot weld it into place. The second spacer/reinforcement is then spot welded onto the other end. The new cover then lays over the extensions of the two spacers and then a bead welded into place. That takes care of the two ends. Along the top, this gets spot welded (this makes the bottom edge seam that the door gaskets and side threshold trim slips onto). <br>Grind the weld seams, and coat the joint areas w/ zinc powder paint. I think that's it. As far as getting replacement sheetmetal, I'm sure you can buy new parts that will no doubt run the length of the rocker panel between wheel to wheel, but depending on the amount of sheetmetal that's cut off, it may be worth it to just find good sheetmetal off of a donor and cut out what's needed. This is a judgement call; no telling what condition donor sheetmetal is in....<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index