Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : HELLLLLP!!!! Fuel Injection question after rebuild

Robert
05-24-2001, 01:36 AM
I bought an 82 320i and rebuilt the engine in it (it was in pieces when I bought it). I have the engine ready to fire up, but am not getting fuel to the cylinders. I get fuel all the way to the injectors, but I'm not sure how much pressure. Enough to make one of the fuel lines though, which I fixed.<br>The things happening and the symptoms are:<p>When I turn the key on, I hear the fuel pump rinning at the rear of the car. I also hear a buzzing sound coming from the small device with the white connector that's bolted to the fuel distributor between it and the engine block (warm up regulator? Should it make a buzzing sound???). The guage says there's 1/4th tank of gas, and gas is definitely making it all the way up TO the injectors.<p>The ignition switch works, and the coil has current, and the engine has fire. I can inject some raw gas through the fitting where the rubber bypass hose connects near the cold start injector, and the engine will easily start and run for a few seconds until it uses the raw gas I injected. (I do put the bypass hose back on before starting it). It sounds good, and starts easily when some gas is injected.<p>Without adding the raw fuel into the intake the engine will not even attempt to start. It spins over, and has fire, but after a long time trying to crank it I can remove the plugs and they're dry as a bone, so it's not getting fuel into the cylinders.<p>So, can anyone tell me a sensible method of trouble-shooting this? It's a K-jetronic system (mechanical).<p>I've read what Chilton's says, and it's next to 0 help...<p>Thanks in advance,<br>Robert<br>

Mark
05-24-2001, 01:42 AM
<i><br>I bought an 82 320i and rebuilt the engine in it (it was in pieces when I bought it). I have the engine ready to fire up, but am not getting fuel to the cylinders. I get fuel all the way to the injectors, but I'm not sure how much pressure. Enough to make one of the fuel lines though, which I fixed.<br>The things happening and the symptoms are:<p>When I turn the key on, I hear the fuel pump rinning at the rear of the car. I also hear a buzzing sound coming from the small device with the white connector that's bolted to the fuel distributor between it and the engine block (warm up regulator? Should it make a buzzing sound???). The guage says there's 1/4th tank of gas, and gas is definitely making it all the way up TO the injectors.<p>The ignition switch works, and the coil has current, and the engine has fire. I can inject some raw gas through the fitting where the rubber bypass hose connects near the cold start injector, and the engine will easily start and run for a few seconds until it uses the raw gas I injected. (I do put the bypass hose back on before starting it). It sounds good, and starts easily when some gas is injected.<p>Without adding the raw fuel into the intake the engine will not even attempt to start. It spins over, and has fire, but after a long time trying to crank it I can remove the plugs and they're dry as a bone, so it's not getting fuel into the cylinders.<p>So, can anyone tell me a sensible method of trouble-shooting this? It's a K-jetronic system (mechanical).<p>I've read what Chilton's says, and it's next to 0 help...<p>Thanks in advance,<br>Robert<p></i><p>This is just a guess, but I think the buzzing thing you are hearing is not the warm-up regulator, but the lambda valve. I recall that it opens and closes a by pass to the fuel tank to maintain correct pressure (system, I think). IF part of your system is not ground, or if some connection is not plugged in correctly, this could be causing the lambda valve to rapidly open and close which would not let enough fuel pressure build up to make the injectors spray.<p>Make any sense?<p>Just the first thought that popped into my head.<p>HTH< <p>Mark

Robert
05-24-2001, 02:38 PM
Thanks,<p>That makes sense. That would also explain why the fuel pump is still runnning when it should have built up enough pressure to stop pumping.<p>Only thnig though, is I can't find lambda valve anywhere in the schematic of the injection system. The lambda valve is located under the water inlet and bolted to the side of the injection distributor, and has a white plug? Or is it somewhere else? Can you tell me what I'm looking for?<p>Thanks!<br>Rob

rob
05-24-2001, 03:49 PM
My car did the same thing. But after about 30 min the buzing went away and Iam now geting fule to the injectors... Now I cant get any spark and it is pissing me off... Do you have any reasen why I am geting no spark? It's not the conctions I have alredy checked that. I think that buz is a by pass valve.<p>matt<p>81 320i<br>

Mark
05-24-2001, 04:38 PM
'80-'83 320i cars have no point in the distributor, rather, they have the electronic ignition unit which is that rectanular solid state unit mounted on the drivers side engine bay, identified by the wire bundle (grey insulation) running to it. I don't know it this could fail, but you might ask around to see if that could be a possible cause. Another thing that I just thought of is to ask if you disconnected the coil wires? If so, did you take care to maintain their polarity whilst reconnecting? <p>If you give me some more info, I will help you troubleshoot as best I can.<p>Mark

Mark
05-24-2001, 04:45 PM
While the color of the plug might vary vary from year to year (I think mine is brown) the location is exactly where you described, on the pass. side of the fuel distributor. There will be a fuel line running to it from the fuel distributor, and a bigger line running to the main (braided) fuel line. On my car, this bigger line had, over time, rubbed quite a bit on some other engine components and as a result the line was physically worn down, not yet to the point of failure, but I still need to replace it. In the meantime, to prevent further wear, I bought a length of "wire keeper" for lack of a better word, it's a spiral of black plastic used to wrap around wires to tidy them up. This keeps the line from rubbing directly on any of the other engine components and should post-pone that engine fire.<p>Good Luck, I still don't know what to tell you to fix your buzzing problem, though it might be that your lambda valve is just bad.<p>HTH, <p>Mark

Robert
05-24-2001, 08:09 PM
Hi Mark.<p>Thanks very much for the help. I tried checking every connetion I could find and didn't find any bad grounds, etc.<p>I did however do some things to see what was happening where. I have fuel at the cold start injector, and I have fuel at the injectors, but the connector on the large hose that the labda valve goes to, where the large banjo bolt attaches it to the distributor doesn't have any fuel in it. I can even take the large banjo bolt out and turn the engine over several times and not get any fuel from there, either coming out of the distributor or the hose either one...<p>Seems like if the labda valve was opening and shutting it would be allowing fuel to pass through and there would be fuel coming out of the hose where it attaches to the distributor?<p>Whatever the case, there's no fuel there, like I said, coming from either the hose or distributor... What's the purpose of the big hose? To supply fuel (I though the smaller one the front of the distributor did that) or to return it to the tank?<p>At this point, I'm stumped...<p>Thanks,<br>Rob<p> <i><br>While the color of the plug might vary vary from year to year (I think mine is brown) the location is exactly where you described, on the pass. side of the fuel distributor. There will be a fuel line running to it from the fuel distributor, and a bigger line running to the main (braided) fuel line. On my car, this bigger line had, over time, rubbed quite a bit on some other engine components and as a result the line was physically worn down, not yet to the point of failure, but I still need to replace it. In the meantime, to prevent further wear, I bought a length of "wire keeper" for lack of a better word, it's a spiral of black plastic used to wrap around wires to tidy them up. This keeps the line from rubbing directly on any of the other engine components and should post-pone that engine fire.<p>Good Luck, I still don't know what to tell you to fix your buzzing problem, though it might be that your lambda valve is just bad.<p>HTH, <p>Mark<p></i><br>

Mark
05-25-2001, 01:52 PM
I think the big hose is the return line. I say this because it feeds back into the braided line that comes from the rear, that also feeds into the main inlet of the fuel distributor.<p>I am stumped too. It sounds like you might have a blockage in the fuel distributor outlet to the lambda valve, but that would seem pretty unlikely. Since my system has never failed there, I have no idea of what could possibly happen.<p>I'll post again when I have something useful to tell you, <p>Good luck, <p>Mark

Robert
05-25-2001, 05:12 PM
<i>Thanks Mark.<p>I'll keep messing with ti and let you know if I come up with anything that would be helpful to anyone else in the future. Man, I wish (at this point) that I had a weber setup... At least I understand them <grin><p>Thanks again,<br>Rob<p><br>I think the big hose is the return line. I say this because it feeds back into the braided line that comes from the rear, that also feeds into the main inlet of the fuel distributor.<p>I am stumped too. It sounds like you might have a blockage in the fuel distributor outlet to the lambda valve, but that would seem pretty unlikely. Since my system has never failed there, I have no idea of what could possibly happen.<p>I'll post again when I have something useful to tell you, <p>Good luck, <p>Mark<p><p></i>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index