Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : (REAR BOOT CRACKED)help

Andrew
05-27-2001, 04:48 PM
Hello. Rear axle boot has split and it cracked all the way around.Is this very bad? I don't know how to replace it w/o taking a whole lot of stuff apart. Is this just a dust shield? Well MY car is an 81 320is and will be waiting for some answers.<p>Thanks<br> Andrew

Daniel
05-27-2001, 10:00 PM
<i><br>Hello. Rear axle boot has split and it cracked all the way around.Is this very bad? I don't know how to replace it w/o taking a whole lot of stuff apart. Is this just a dust shield? Well MY car is an 81 320is and will be waiting for some answers.<p>Thanks<br> Andrew<p></i>You can probably go to any autoparts store and get a cv boot/axle boot repair kit. I repaced a cv boot on a dodge caravan and it looked like it would fit my 320i. The boot comes as two pieces. Remove your old boot, put the two piece replacement on and a dab of glue. Good as new.<br>Good Luck<br>Daniel<br>

Andy Morang
05-28-2001, 11:18 PM
<i><br>Is this very bad? <br>Thanks<br> Andrew<p>Yes, it is very bad because the boot protects the shaft and bearings from grit and dirt. It has to be replaced. The replacement kit sounds good if it works - I have never tried one. But, the best way to solve it is to but a stock boot and go through the irritating effort of installing it. Also, if you are replacing one rear boot, replace all four.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index