Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Frank
02-03-2000, 11:38 AM
I like the E23 only format, easier to sort out what I need/want.<p>I have a 1984 733i with 450,824 miles on the original engine. It still runs fine, and it's never been invaded internally (just water pumps, etc.). I bought the car with 67,000 on it, and have maintained it myself with regular use of Syntec, etc., BUT it smokes a bit after high RPM deceleration in 3rd gear (when I reaccelerate, there's a bit of smoke). It does not seem to smoke the rest of the time, and uses little oil. BUT, I know it has to die eventually. What are engine options??? Will the 733i injection system work on a 3.5 litre engine from other models??<p>Has anyone bought an engine from the outfit in CA who sells rebuilt engines (Roundel ad said $2,695 for a 733i engine)? How about a slavage yard engine??<p>Thanks for your comments/help<p>Frank

Marguerite
02-03-2000, 09:26 PM
Frank,<br> hi. Although I don't have answer to your question, I'm writing in to say thanks for posting the mileage. I have an '82 733i with 290K miles on it. I've been thinking of getting rid of it, but I love the car so much I can't bear to part with it. It doesn't let me down and it handles so well still. I have the smokie start up and grey smoke upon major take off... you know if I try to act like Mario Andretti. But other than that, my thought is that it will need a valve job within the next ??? well that's what I can't tell. So you haven't had to do a vavle job or anything to engine all this time other than periperal items? You're making want to keep the car and try to get 500 miles out of it. How's the body on it?<br>M<p>: I like the E23 only format, easier to sort out what I need/want.<p>: I have a 1984 733i with 450,824 miles on the original engine. It still runs fine, and it's never been invaded internally (just water pumps, etc.). I bought the car with 67,000 on it, and have maintained it myself with regular use of Syntec, etc., BUT it smokes a bit after high RPM deceleration in 3rd gear (when I reaccelerate, there's a bit of smoke). It does not seem to smoke the rest of the time, and uses little oil. BUT, I know it has to die eventually. What are engine options??? Will the 733i injection system work on a 3.5 litre engine from other models??<p>: Has anyone bought an engine from the outfit in CA who sells rebuilt engines (Roundel ad said $2,695 for a 733i engine)? How about a slavage yard engine??<p>: Thanks for your comments/help<p>: Frank<p>

demet
02-03-2000, 11:00 PM
Hi Frank, Have you ever tried James Clay for parts? He has a 733 engine for $800 and indicates it's recently rebuilt. It could be a good alternative while keeping some of that cash in your pocket. A lot of us on the e28 forum have used his services with good results.<p>demet<br>87 528e<br>85 745i<p><i>: I like the E23 only format, easier to sort out what I need/want.<p>: I have a 1984 733i with 450,824 miles on the original engine. It still runs fine, and it's never been invaded internally (just water pumps, etc.). I bought the car with 67,000 on it, and have maintained it myself with regular use of Syntec, etc., BUT it smokes a bit after high RPM deceleration in 3rd gear (when I reaccelerate, there's a bit of smoke). It does not seem to smoke the rest of the time, and uses little oil. BUT, I know it has to die eventually. What are engine options??? Will the 733i injection system work on a 3.5 litre engine from other models??<p>: Has anyone bought an engine from the outfit in CA who sells rebuilt engines (Roundel ad said $2,695 for a 733i engine)? How about a slavage yard engine??<p>: Thanks for your comments/help<p>: Frank<p></i>

frank
02-04-2000, 11:26 AM
<i>: Frank,<br>: hi. Although I don't have answer to your question, I'm writing in to say thanks for posting the mileage. I have an '82 733i with 290K miles on it. I've been thinking of getting rid of it, but I love the car so much I can't bear to part with it. It doesn't let me down and it handles so well still. I have the smokie start up and grey smoke upon major take off... you know if I try to act like Mario Andretti. But other than that, my thought is that it will need a valve job within the next ??? well that's what I can't tell. So you haven't had to do a vavle job or anything to engine all this time other than periperal items? You're making want to keep the car and try to get 500 miles out of it. How's the body on it?<br>: M<p>: : I like the E23 only format, easier to sort out what I need/want.<p>: : I have a 1984 733i with 450,824 miles on the original engine. It still runs fine, and it's never been invaded internally (just water pumps, etc.). I bought the car with 67,000 on it, and have maintained it myself with regular use of Syntec, etc., BUT it smokes a bit after high RPM deceleration in 3rd gear (when I reaccelerate, there's a bit of smoke). It does not seem to smoke the rest of the time, and uses little oil. BUT, I know it has to die eventually. What are engine options??? Will the 733i injection system work on a 3.5 litre engine from other models??<p>: : Has anyone bought an engine from the outfit in CA who sells rebuilt engines (Roundel ad said $2,695 for a 733i engine)? How about a slavage yard engine??<p>: : Thanks for your comments/help<p>: : Frank<p></i>Marguerite:<p>I'd say your valve seals are starting to leak a bit (start up smoke is symtom, I'm told). Valves themselves are likely OK. I plan to drive mine til it dies, then replace the engine in my garage. I love this car and don't plan to let it die (unless it's wrecked beyond repair).. There is not rust (it's been in TN all its life), and no wrecks yet.<p>The head will be expensive, so delay as long as your conscience can tolerate the smoke. Sounds like if you keep you foot out of it, it's not bad to smoke. If it's not showing other symptoms, keep driving it and change the oil.<p>I've had to replace a heater core (Callan gave good advice on that), rebuild a final stage on blower motor, replace differential (used one at about 300K), replace clutch and pressure plate at 250K, drive shaft and center support bearing, exhaust system, voltage regulator/brush assembly, but not alternator, nor starter, and I think next project is the front suspension.....but NEVER any internal engine work. I've been amazed at this car's power plant!! You have one of the best BIMMERS ever built, I think.<p>Frank

Marguerite
02-07-2000, 10:52 PM
<br>: : Frank,<br>: : hi. Although I don't have answer to your question, I'm writing in to say thanks for posting the mileage. I have an '82 733i with 290K miles on it. I've been thinking of getting rid of it, but I love the car so much I can't bear to part with it. It doesn't let me down and it handles so well still. I have the smokie start up and grey smoke upon major take off... you know if I try to act like Mario Andretti. But other than that, my thought is that it will need a valve job within the next ??? well that's what I can't tell. So you haven't had to do a vavle job or anything to engine all this time other than periperal items? You're making want to keep the car and try to get 500 miles out of it. How's the body on it?<br>: : M<p>: : : I like the E23 only format, easier to sort out what I need/want.<p>: : : I have a 1984 733i with 450,824 miles on the original engine. It still runs fine, and it's never been invaded internally (just water pumps, etc.). I bought the car with 67,000 on it, and have maintained it myself with regular use of Syntec, etc., BUT it smokes a bit after high RPM deceleration in 3rd gear (when I reaccelerate, there's a bit of smoke). It does not seem to smoke the rest of the time, and uses little oil. BUT, I know it has to die eventually. What are engine options??? Will the 733i injection system work on a 3.5 litre engine from other models??<p>: : : Has anyone bought an engine from the outfit in CA who sells rebuilt engines (Roundel ad said $2,695 for a 733i engine)? How about a slavage yard engine??<p>: : : Thanks for your comments/help<p>: : : Frank<p>: Marguerite:<p>: I'd say your valve seals are starting to leak a bit (start up smoke is symtom, I'm told). Valves themselves are likely OK. I plan to drive mine til it dies, then replace the engine in my garage. I love this car and don't plan to let it die (unless it's wrecked beyond repair).. There is not rust (it's been in TN all its life), and no wrecks yet.<p>: The head will be expensive, so delay as long as your conscience can tolerate the smoke. Sounds like if you keep you foot out of it, it's not bad to smoke. If it's not showing other symptoms, keep driving it and change the oil.<p>: I've had to replace a heater core (Callan gave good advice on that), rebuild a final stage on blower motor, replace differential (used one at about 300K), replace clutch and pressure plate at 250K, drive shaft and center support bearing, exhaust system, voltage regulator/brush assembly, but not alternator, nor starter, and I think next project is the front suspension.....but NEVER any internal engine work. I've been amazed at this car's power plant!! You have one of the best BIMMERS ever built, I think.<p>: Frank,<br> Thank you for sharing this history on your vehicle with me. As well as your input on my car. I too am all the more convinced that this particular car is indeed the best car BMW built. The rust on my car does break my heart. I've been working on my '85 528e, and it's cute but it's a fussy little nightmare. My 7 hasn't let me down. I love it. Share the longevity with us all. cheers<br>Marguerite <p>

Mark
02-13-2000, 12:27 AM
demet referenced James Clay who has an engine for a E23 for $800.00. My 83 733i needs a new engine. How do I contact James Clay?

demet
02-14-2000, 02:00 PM
Visit his web site at the link below. <p>demet<p><i>: demet referenced James Clay who has an engine for a E23 for $800.00. My 83 733i needs a new engine. How do I contact James Clay?<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index