Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : '86 735 door locks

Alan
02-03-2000, 02:57 PM
The drivers door lock on my '86 735 needed replacing. The guy that did the work said that on that model if you opened the lock to re-key there was a problem getting the lock to hold together over time and he reccommended not re-keying the new lock to match the existing key. Has anyone else ever heard of this? <br>Alan

Rlombardo
02-03-2000, 04:17 PM
<i>: The drivers door lock on my '86 735 needed replacing. The guy that did the work said that on that model if you opened the lock to re-key there was a problem getting the lock to hold together over time and he reccommended not re-keying the new lock to match the existing key. Has anyone else ever heard of this? <br>: Alan<p></i><br>I had to have the cylinder on my 733 changed on the driver's door. I had the dealer do it so they could use the original key. BMW makes a kit so that the locks on the doors can be changed and matched to the original key. I have had no problems whatsoever since it was done two years ago. Sounds to me like you need to find someone else to do the work. This is one of the situations for which I think a dealer is the way to go. Good luck.<br>RAL

Marguerite
02-03-2000, 09:19 PM
hi Alan,<br> I just changed the latch on my driver's door. You wouldn't want to have a different key. Have dealer order or go to more qualified BMW shop to have them order lock to match your key. Bring in master key.<br>good luck<br>M<br>: The drivers door lock on my '86 735 needed replacing. The guy that did the work said that on that model if you opened the lock to re-key there was a problem getting the lock to hold together over time and he reccommended not re-keying the new lock to match the existing key. Has anyone else ever heard of this? <br>: Alan<p>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index