Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : All 4 Windows Up

GAddison
02-04-2000, 02:17 PM
Hey Guys,<p>This ALL E23 is nice. <p>Problem: All four of my window switches<br>stopped working Sunday. Tooling around looking at houses,<br>put the windows up to check the A/C during it's winter slumber. Turned A/C off, and the window switches would not work. The sunroof switch still work. Any ideas. I don't have a fuse diagram to look at and I am ready to pull all 30 to check them out. Any ideas.

Denis M.
02-04-2000, 05:31 PM
<i>: Hey Guys,<p>: This ALL E23 is nice. <p>: Problem: All four of my window switches<br>: stopped working Sunday. Tooling around looking at houses,<br>: put the windows up to check the A/C during it's winter slumber. Turned A/C off, and the window switches would not work. The sunroof switch still work. Any ideas. I don't have a fuse diagram to look at and I am ready to pull all 30 to check them out. Any ideas.<p></i>Check the switch on the drivers by your right knee. This switch controls a variety of the internal electrical components.

Callan
02-05-2000, 09:30 AM
<i>: : Hey Guys,<p>: : This ALL E23 is nice. <p>: : Problem: All four of my window switches<br>: : stopped working Sunday. Tooling around looking at houses,<br>: : put the windows up to check the A/C during it's winter slumber. Turned A/C off, and the window switches would not work. The sunroof switch still work. Any ideas. I don't have a fuse diagram to look at and I am ready to pull all 30 to check them out. Any ideas.<p>: Check the switch on the drivers by your right knee. This switch controls a variety of the internal electrical components. <p></i>

GAddison
02-07-2000, 07:20 PM
Thanks for your response and your time Guys what is my next move.Is there anything in the fuse box that I need to look at? Can I pull the rocker switch and check it out.

Callan
02-07-2000, 08:51 PM
Fuse #17 feeds the "control side" of the power windows relay that's under the drivers kickpanel, and fuse #26 is the 30amp fuse that gives "load" power to the relay. If you lose either fuse, the relay won't send power to the circuit breaker that you have been playing with. I think #17 also works with the aux. fan, so you might have lost it when the A/C was running from trouble at the Aux fan. I'd have to go back and look up fuse #17 power dist. to confirm that.<p>Anyway, you have two fuses to verify, then we trudge onward if needed.

GAddison
02-11-2000, 05:45 PM
#17 was burned, #26 was still good. I replaced #17 and windows worked last night. This morning half way to work they stopped working again. I will take a look in the Aux fan area this evening to see if there are exposed wires and such. Any other ideas or precautions?<p>84' 733i

Callan
02-13-2000, 03:16 PM
are rin off Fuse #17. I just looked it up to make sure what to have you look at. I was wrong about the Aux. fan, that's fuse #18 as well as others.<br>According to BMW '84 733 ETM, you have :<br>Heated washers nozzles[if you have them, not every Seven go them]<br>Power Windows<br>Power Mirrors<br>Interior lights<br>Dash lights and those transmission "range" lights at the bottom of the cluster<br>Cruise Control<br>Idle Speed Control[probably a feed to the control unit, I didn't bother to look it up yet]<br>Reverse lights<br>and finally, the seat belt warning light system.<br>Lots to check, but you can work your way through the list by crossing off things that you turn on and DON'T make the fuse blow. Work the reverse lights a few times and make sure they work every time, the contacts at the neutral safety switch could be shorting out[if you have the auto] or water/corrosion is in one of the tail light housings.<p>Try cruise control by itself.<br>Don't run the car, just turn the lights on to see if the cluster wiring or the printed circuit board acts up without the ignition key even being on. Shake the car a few times to make any wiring thats intermittantly shorting to ground act up[don't laugh, some of my best finds for shorts were made to happen this way by flexing a yet-to-be discovered single wire against whatever sheetmetal sharp edge had cut into the wire]<p>Now try the window switches that you usually use, make a big note of any used switch that FEELS funny or makes a weird noise when used. BMW window switches are bad about shorting to ground, even without being used when the guts inside get worn on the '80s models. Doesn't matter if they're lighted or not, but the lighted, later ones seem more prone to blowing fuses.<p>I'll have to check the wiring for the seat belt buckle on the L/F seat to see if it's just a ground switch or moves power . Usually you only get an annoying gonging sound out of the warning gong if the wiring under the drivers seat gets pinched by the seat tracks. Don't remember any cars blowing fuses for the buckle but I'll check the ETM first.

George Addison
02-21-2000, 01:34 PM
<i>and I'll get back with you, again thanks for your time.<p>George III <br></i>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index