Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Patrick
02-07-2000, 12:19 PM
I have some play in the front wheels of my '84 733i (When I grab the top of the wheel I can rock it several degrees). From the information I have gathered, the following method appears to be the proper way to adjust the play in the tapered roller bearings used in the front wheels. <br>1. Remove dust cap and locking pin in castle nut.<br>2. Tighten nut to 30 ft lbs while spinning wheel<br>3. Spin another couple turns and loosen nut<br>4. re-torque to 3-5 ft-lbs, add some grease and re-cap<p>My question is, Is it this simple?? What type of grease should I use?? I have some Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease, but I'm not sure I should mix it with the already existing grease. Any comments or recommendations appreciated. <p>Patrick<br>'84 733i

Aaron
02-07-2000, 06:34 PM
<First, are you sure it's your wheel bearings? Have you eliminated a tie-rod, etc? If it is the bearings, yeah it is pretty simple to adjust them. The grease mixing should'nt be an issue. Ideally, you'd remove them...clean them with solvent...then re-pack with new grease -- any good "wheel bearing grease". Hope that helps

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index