Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : 86 735i Heating..fogged windows

Jerry
02-08-2000, 06:49 PM
Folks, can anyone suggest what might be the issue with my 86 735i, when the heat is functioning the windows just recently started fogging with a faint smell of antifreeze....could the heating element have a leak and <p>the vapors are being blown into the passenger compartment?<p>If so what's the best way to approach this job?<p>And what might the cost be?<p>This fine auto has 138,000 well maintained miles on it.

Bob
02-09-2000, 12:42 AM
<i>: Folks, can anyone suggest what might be the issue with my 86 735i, when the heat is functioning the windows just recently started fogging with a faint smell of antifreeze....could the heating element have a leak and <p>: the vapors are being blown into the passenger compartment?<p>: If so what's the best way to approach this job?<p>: And what might the cost be?<p>: This fine auto has 138,000 well maintained miles on it.<p></i>--------------------------------------------<br>Sounds like the dreaded heater core leak.<p>

demet
02-10-2000, 12:20 AM
Any way you look at it it's a pain to replace. If you bring it to the dealer the pain you will experience will be in the money you will be handing over, maybe as high as 10 hours worth. If you do it yourself the pain will be in a number of hours of your labor. If you're interested in somebody's experience with the DIY route check out the excellent site, with pictures, at the link below.<p>demet<p><i>: Folks, can anyone suggest what might be the issue with my 86 735i, when the heat is functioning the windows just recently started fogging with a faint smell of antifreeze....could the heating element have a leak and <p>: the vapors are being blown into the passenger compartment?<p>: If so what's the best way to approach this job?<p>: And what might the cost be?<p>: This fine auto has 138,000 well maintained miles on it.<p></i>

Korby
02-11-2000, 04:11 AM
I concur with the other posts...it sounds like heater core. I have my 85 735i apart right now with a new core ready to go in this weekend. I'm trying to take pics as I go with the idea of posting them. The web site mentioned in the other post is a pretty good one, but it's an E32 (mine's an E23-as is yours). He removed a lot of stuff I didn't have to. Mine looks like it was a little easier.<p>I was quoted 10 hours of labor by an indepedent at $60/hour plus mark up on retail parts...I was looking at almost a grand. I got the parts for under $200 (including every new hose/pipe/o-ring on the car, excluding the main radiator hoses) at www.allbmwparts.com...shipped within two days. <p>I highly recommend investing in a factory shop manual. It's Betty Crocker most of the way...complete with pics...up until the serious stuff (removing the core itself). This I had to figure out myself. It looks very overwhelming and it's not for the faint of heart, but it is do-able. Even it takes me 20 hours (which it probably will)...my time is worth $30/hour.<p>Some very good advice my mechanic gave me: Go slow, take your time, be gentle, don't force anything. Resign yourself to being without the car for at least a week (including a solid weekend). Only work on it for two hours a night (it's tedious work with fragile parts and your attitude can make or BREAK the project). Buy a parts tray with little dividers and a lid to keep track of all the little screws and the order in which they came out. <p>I suggest you do something about the leak TODAY. It's a sneaky little thing and can soak your interior under the carpet so you won't notice until it's really bad. Get a bypass hose and connector to stop the flow to your core. Then, research the project and get parts and time lined up. Be prepared to freeze for a while...these cars are unfortunately well-insulated from engine heat.<p>Let me know if I can help. <p><br><i>: Folks, can anyone suggest what might be the issue with my 86 735i, when the heat is functioning the windows just recently started fogging with a faint smell of antifreeze....could the heating element have a leak and <p>: the vapors are being blown into the passenger compartment?<p>: If so what's the best way to approach this job?<p>: And what might the cost be?<p>: This fine auto has 138,000 well maintained miles on it.<p></i>

Barry
03-14-2000, 04:18 PM
<i>: : Folks, can anyone suggest what might be the issue with my 86 735i, when the heat is functioning the windows just recently started fogging with a faint smell of antifreeze....could the heating element have a leak and <p>: : the vapors are being blown into the passenger compartment?<p>: : If so what's the best way to approach this job?<p>: : And what might the cost be?<p>: : This fine auto has 138,000 well maintained miles on it.<p>: --------------------------------------------<br>: Sounds like the dreaded heater core leak.<p>The easy answer is ----it is the heater core. Check the front seat floor for water. Also look to see if water is leaking from the front transmission area. If it is relax there are two discharge hoses located inside the dashboard that drain off the water when the heater core goes bad.<br>My approach to this one is let someone who knows how do this one. The job takes 6 hours by someone who knows how. In fact mine will be done tomorrow. Cost for me about $600.00<p>Barry

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index