Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Boomer
02-11-2000, 07:34 AM
My fan(A/C) on my 83 733i makes a loud screeching noise when I turn the blower on high. It sounds like two birds fighting. Any suggestions on how I can solve this problem?<br> THHANKS; Boomer

Grant
02-13-2000, 07:51 PM
<i>: My fan(A/C) on my 83 733i makes a loud screeching noise when I turn the blower on high. It sounds like two birds fighting. Any suggestions on how I can solve this problem?<br>: THHANKS; Boomer<p></i><p>Does it make this noise only when in the high selected position? Or can you hear some of this noise at a lower level when the fan is in the lower speed position? I suggest you turn off the engine but leave the iqnition on and then listen to the fan. Let us know what you find.

Boomer
02-14-2000, 09:57 PM
<i>: : My fan(A/C) on my 83 733i makes a loud screeching noise when I turn the blower on high. It sounds like two birds fighting. Any suggestions on how I can solve this problem?<br>: : THHANKS; Boomer<p><br>: Does it make this noise only when in the high selected position? Or can you hear some of this noise at a lower level when the fan is in the lower speed position? I suggest you turn off the engine but leave the iqnition on and then listen to the fan. Let us know what you find.<p></i>Grant, I did what you suggested and you can hear the sound on lower speeds also but it is not as bad. What makes this strange is sometimes it won't make the noise at all. But eventually it will start up

Grant
02-15-2000, 08:35 PM
<i>: : : My fan(A/C) on my 83 733i makes a loud screeching noise when I turn the blower on high. It sounds like two birds fighting. Any suggestions on how I can solve this problem?<br>: : : THHANKS; Boomer<p>: <br>: : Does it make this noise only when in the high selected position? Or can you hear some of this noise at a lower level when the fan is in the lower speed position? I suggest you turn off the engine but leave the iqnition on and then listen to the fan. Let us know what you find.<p>: Grant, I did what you suggested and you can hear the sound on lower speeds also but it is not as bad. What makes this strange is sometimes it won't make the noise at all. But eventually it will start up<p></i><br>I am not sure about the 83 model but the 85 E-23 has a motor with two round "fans" attached to the motor shaft. The motor has bearings or bushings on this shaft. It appears from your comments that these bearing or bushings are at the end of their useful life. Temperature at the shaft may be the factor related to the noise. When cold it may not be loud but as the motor turns and heats up the noise increases. This is a problem where I live as we operate the blower on high most of the summer and blower motor life can be short. There is a slight possibility that some object is caught or stuck in the fan housing. That could be checked. If you do need a new motor and can not find a BMW replacement, go the the parts store and ask for a 92-95 Honda Accord EX blower motor. Check it before you purchase, as it may be a "keeper". If not then to the dealer.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index