Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

peter from germany
02-14-2000, 04:06 PM
hello<br>i´ve heard in the states are park plugs with splited<br>elektrodes (ACCEL i beleve) and another company with<br>spark plugs they are "fire" three or four timpes with<br>one impulse from the coil. can i use them in a 86 e23<br>735?? can i get them with metric threads?? is it<br>better for performance??<p>best regards <p>peter from germany

Grant
02-14-2000, 05:12 PM
<i>: hello<br>: i´ve heard in the states are park plugs with splited<br>: elektrodes (ACCEL i beleve) and another company with<br>: spark plugs they are "fire" three or four timpes with<br>: one impulse from the coil. can i use them in a 86 e23<br>: 735?? can i get them with metric threads?? is it<br>: better for performance??<p>: best regards <p>: peter from germany<p></i><p>Yes, the split "V" electrode is the Splitfire brand of sparkplug. Accel brand has a U-Grove on their electode. AS I understand it the V-electrode allows the spark to form and jump the gap easier, but the spark voltage will be lower i.e. 25K to 30K volts. The Accel will produce a hotter spark as the voltage will rise to a higer level before the spark can jump the gap. For my E-23 the hotter spark works best as there is more power and better fuel milage. Anyway try www.pawinc.com or www.summitracing.com as they sell SplitFire plugs. I have never heard of a spark plug that fires multi times per impulse from the coil. Good Luck

san
02-16-2000, 10:09 AM
Theres an MSD ignition (i use on mustang 5.0 :) that fires "Multiple Spark Discharge" more than once to burn off excess fuel. Dunno how it would work on a bimmer though..<p>bosch sells those 4 prong plugs for about $3.75 a piece. i hear that they suck, from mechanics, and the good ole bosch oem's work best in bimmers.<br>

Gary
02-16-2000, 04:55 PM
<i>: hello<br>: i´ve heard in the states are park plugs with splited<br>: elektrodes (ACCEL i beleve) and another company with<br>: spark plugs they are "fire" three or four timpes with<br>: one impulse from the coil. can i use them in a 86 e23<br>: 735?? can i get them with metric threads?? is it<br>: better for performance??<p>: best regards <p>: peter from germany<p></i>have had excellent peformance and much<br>improved fuel mileage in the '85 635i since<br>switching to Bosch platinums-the threads should<br>be the same irregardless of where you live

Grant
02-17-2000, 09:06 AM
<i>: Theres an MSD ignition (i use on mustang 5.0 :) that fires "Multiple Spark Discharge" more than once to burn off excess fuel. Dunno how it would work on a bimmer though..<p>: bosch sells those 4 prong plugs for about $3.75 a piece. i hear that they suck, from mechanics, and the good ole bosch oem's work best in bimmers.<p></i><p>San, what controls the MDS firing of the coil on the unit you have installed on your Mustang? I have been considering a new coil for my 85 735i E-23 to see if I could get a "hotter" spark. I think I would have to contiue to use the Montronic unit for spark signal, but I also think a new high voltage coil and new wires would improve the ingition, etc. We use the Jacobs unit on our Blazer 4X4 and it is a good performer. Let me know what you think

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index