Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Coil Testing...

Don C
02-24-2000, 07:13 PM
I just tested my ignition coil and got a .90 (book says .50) and a 6040 (book says 5000 to 6000) on the secondary. Exactly how much tolerance is there and what driveability issues will I notice as the coil goes bad? <p>Actually, with your responses, I'll probably do a couple " Oh yea, mine does that(s)!" <p>TIA<br>Don C

Grant
02-24-2000, 07:57 PM
<i>: I just tested my ignition coil and got a .90 (book says .50) and a 6040 (book says 5000 to 6000) on the secondary. Exactly how much tolerance is there and what driveability issues will I notice as the coil goes bad? <p>: Actually, with your responses, I'll probably do a couple " Oh yea, mine does that(s)!" <p>: TIA<br>: Don C<p></i><p>Anywhere between 1000 and 15000 ohms on the coil. Lower the better. What type meter did you use to check the coil? Hard or difficult starting can be signs of a bad coil. And sometimes the coil will read good when cold but drop out when hot as the windings heat up and then can cause problems. How old is the coil? If you decide to replace the coil look hard at some of the aftermarket coils as they can control the spark duration which is critical at different speeds, and they will produce a higher output voltage on the secondary which is good for the plugs as you can open the gap. Let us know what you find out. <p>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index