Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : 4cyl trany w/ a big 6?

Alexis
03-02-2000, 03:03 AM
ive heard a 320i 5-speed will bolt up to a big 6. is this true? and if it is would i want to do it? isnt the trany too small for all the tork of a 3.5L? id rather get a stock 5-speed but im haveing truble finding one (for cheep any way) i now i can use the trany from a 80-81 528i, 81-82 633i or an 81-82 733i but my local u-pull it's dont seem to have any. anyone know where i might find one for the $150 price range? i already have a 320i 5-speed laying around but id feel better with a bigger trany.<br>thanks for your help<br>Alexis

Devin L
03-30-2000, 12:51 PM
<i>: ive heard a 320i 5-speed will bolt up to a big 6. is this true? and if it is would i want to do it? isnt the trany too small for all the tork of a 3.5L? id rather get a stock 5-speed but im haveing truble finding one (for cheep any way) i now i can use the trany from a 80-81 528i, 81-82 633i or an 81-82 733i but my local u-pull it's dont seem to have any. anyone know where i might find one for the $150 price range? i already have a 320i 5-speed laying around but id feel better with a bigger trany.<br>: thanks for your help<br>: Alexis<p></i><p>Ive been looking to do a similar swap. The auto trans on my 83 733i is all but gone. <p><a href="http://www.woodfins.com"> www.woodfins.com </a> has a large assortment of e23 manual transmissions, everything from $253 to $784, but that is the transmission alone. A quote from a place I forget (I have it written down somewhere) wanted $1580 for the trans alone, and with miscellaneous other parts, including the clutch, linkage, and everything needed for a complete swap, quoted 3000-3500 for the whole deal. This was using new parts, however. <p>Im a little wary of using a transmission designed for a car half the weight with much less power (3 series). The Bimmer would be driven daily, although not very hard, so the swap would have to be reliable. Junked 3 series Bimmers are easy to find.<p>Let me know via email if you find anything.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index