Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Activist
03-03-2000, 04:32 PM
Last year on April 30,1999, a gas out was staged<br>across Canada and the U.S. to bring the price of gas<br>down, and it worked. It's time to do something about<br>it again. Only this time lets make it for three days<br>instead of just one.<p>The so-called oil cartel decided to slow production to<br>drive up gasoline prices. Lets see how many<br>Canadian\American people we can get to ban together<br>for a three day period in April, NOT TO BUY ANY<br>GASOLINE, during those three days.<p>LETS HAVE A GAS OUT. Do not buy any gasoline from<br>APRIL 7,2000, THROUGH APRIL 9, 2000. Buy what you need<br>before the dates listed above, or after, but try not<br>to buy any during the GAS OUT. If you want to help,<br>just send this to everyone you know and ask them to do<br>the same. We brought the prices down once before, and<br>we can do it again. Come on North America lets stand<br>together. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>Even if you receive this 100 times keep passing it<br>around, this way you know everyone is being informed<br>and no one will forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sean
03-03-2000, 05:51 PM
<i>: Last year on April 30,1999, a gas out was staged<br>: across Canada and the U.S. to bring the price of gas<br>: down, and it worked. It's time to do something about<br>: it again. Only this time lets make it for three days<br>: instead of just one.<p>: The so-called oil cartel decided to slow production to<br>: drive up gasoline prices. Lets see how many<br>: Canadian\American people we can get to ban together<br>: for a three day period in April, NOT TO BUY ANY<br>: GASOLINE, during those three days.<p>: LETS HAVE A GAS OUT. Do not buy any gasoline from<br>: APRIL 7,2000, THROUGH APRIL 9, 2000. Buy what you need<br>: before the dates listed above, or after, but try not<br>: to buy any during the GAS OUT. If you want to help,<br>: just send this to everyone you know and ask them to do<br>: the same. We brought the prices down once before, and<br>: we can do it again. Come on North America lets stand<br>: together. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>: Even if you receive this 100 times keep passing it<br>: around, this way you know everyone is being informed<br>: and no one will forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p></i>The trick is to not USE gas for three days - this means not driving. If you don't BUY gas for three days but continue to drive, you'll simply be buying three days worth of gas at some other time. <br>Also worth considering: in the USofA, gasoline is one of the cheapest things you can buy. Compare the price of a gallon of gas vs a gallon of milk in 1970 vs 2000.<br>Bottled water is more expensive than gasoline.<br>If you want to do something, walk to the store once in a while. Ride a bicycle or a motorcycle or a bus to work once in a while.<br>Mindless "activism" only makes things worse for all of us.<p>

Edward
03-03-2000, 11:52 PM
<i>: Last year on April 30,1999, a gas out was staged<br>: across Canada and the U.S. to bring the price of gas<br>: down, and it worked. It's time to do something about<br>: it again. Only this time lets make it for three days<br>: instead of just one.<p>: The so-called oil cartel decided to slow production to<br>: drive up gasoline prices. Lets see how many<br>: Canadian\American people we can get to ban together<br>: for a three day period in April, NOT TO BUY ANY<br>: GASOLINE, during those three days.<p>: LETS HAVE A GAS OUT. Do not buy any gasoline from<br>: APRIL 7,2000, THROUGH APRIL 9, 2000. Buy what you need<br>: before the dates listed above, or after, but try not<br>: to buy any during the GAS OUT. If you want to help,<br>: just send this to everyone you know and ask them to do<br>: the same. We brought the prices down once before, and<br>: we can do it again. Come on North America lets stand<br>: together. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>: Even if you receive this 100 times keep passing it<br>: around, this way you know everyone is being informed<br>: and no one will forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p></i>I agree with Sean... But, also understand the political enforcment and control... The one thing I do know is that we do have cheap gas - and we don't have enough oil to last forever... What happens when we have switched to an alternitive fuel (forcefully - becuase we did run out of oil) an we can't drive of beloved 2002's? A little sad to have invested $20,000+ and not be able to drive it becuase we "whined" about low fuel prices... NOW, what is the problem is the government who adds taxes to everything - including $.30 - $.80+ to every gallon! That's something we should get upset about. Keep those greedy-lowsy, money hungry, "do what ever big buisnesses say as long as they pay" people out of office and set up a "new" tax structure...Just a thought...<p>Edward (love my BMW's and love to drive them...)

Soko
03-04-2000, 01:32 AM
<i>: : Last year on April 30,1999, a gas out was staged<br>: : across Canada and the U.S. to bring the price of gas<br>: : down, and it worked. It's time to do something about<br>: : it again. Only this time lets make it for three days<br>: : instead of just one.<p>: : The so-called oil cartel decided to slow production to<br>: : drive up gasoline prices. Lets see how many<br>: : Canadian\American people we can get to ban together<br>: : for a three day period in April, NOT TO BUY ANY<br>: : GASOLINE, during those three days.<p>: : LETS HAVE A GAS OUT. Do not buy any gasoline from<br>: : APRIL 7,2000, THROUGH APRIL 9, 2000. Buy what you need<br>: : before the dates listed above, or after, but try not<br>: : to buy any during the GAS OUT. If you want to help,<br>: : just send this to everyone you know and ask them to do<br>: : the same. We brought the prices down once before, and<br>: : we can do it again. Come on North America lets stand<br>: : together. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>: : Even if you receive this 100 times keep passing it<br>: : around, this way you know everyone is being informed<br>: : and no one will forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>: I agree with Sean... But, also understand the political enforcment and control... The one thing I do know is that we do have cheap gas - and we don't have enough oil to last forever... What happens when we have switched to an alternitive fuel (forcefully - becuase we did run out of oil) an we can't drive of beloved 2002's? A little sad to have invested $20,000+ and not be able to drive it becuase we "whined" about low fuel prices... NOW, what is the problem is the government who adds taxes to everything - including $.30 - $.80+ to every gallon! That's something we should get upset about. Keep those greedy-lowsy, money hungry, "do what ever big buisnesses say as long as they pay" people out of office and set up a "new" tax structure...Just a thought...<p>: Edward (love my BMW's and love to drive them...) <p>Hey, I love my BMWs and love to drive them too, no doubt, but you're missing the point. Gas taxes aren't going to go away. And I am perfectly sure that oil companies aren't thrilled with any taxes on gas, so in this case the politicians aren't doing what big businesses want. We have an oil dependency that we aren't going to cure, but a little pressure on OPEC can't hurt in letting them increase the supply so prices come down. So, instead of whining about taxes, do something for yourself and your fellow automobile enthusiasts, AND your economy by not buying gas for 3 days. The benefits certainly outweigh the minor costs. <p>-Soko

Sean
03-04-2000, 07:10 AM
<i>: : : Last year on April 30,1999, a gas out was staged<br>: : : across Canada and the U.S. to bring the price of gas<br>: : : down, and it worked. It's time to do something about<br>: : : it again. Only this time lets make it for three days<br>: : : instead of just one.<p>: : : The so-called oil cartel decided to slow production to<br>: : : drive up gasoline prices. Lets see how many<br>: : : Canadian\American people we can get to ban together<br>: : : for a three day period in April, NOT TO BUY ANY<br>: : : GASOLINE, during those three days.<p>: : : LETS HAVE A GAS OUT. Do not buy any gasoline from<br>: : : APRIL 7,2000, THROUGH APRIL 9, 2000. Buy what you need<br>: : : before the dates listed above, or after, but try not<br>: : : to buy any during the GAS OUT. If you want to help,<br>: : : just send this to everyone you know and ask them to do<br>: : : the same. We brought the prices down once before, and<br>: : : we can do it again. Come on North America lets stand<br>: : : together. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>: : : Even if you receive this 100 times keep passing it<br>: : : around, this way you know everyone is being informed<br>: : : and no one will forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>: : I agree with Sean... But, also understand the political enforcment and control... The one thing I do know is that we do have cheap gas - and we don't have enough oil to last forever... What happens when we have switched to an alternitive fuel (forcefully - becuase we did run out of oil) an we can't drive of beloved 2002's? A little sad to have invested $20,000+ and not be able to drive it becuase we "whined" about low fuel prices... NOW, what is the problem is the government who adds taxes to everything - including $.30 - $.80+ to every gallon! That's something we should get upset about. Keep those greedy-lowsy, money hungry, "do what ever big buisnesses say as long as they pay" people out of office and set up a "new" tax structure...Just a thought...<p>: : Edward (love my BMW's and love to drive them...) <p>: Hey, I love my BMWs and love to drive them too, no doubt, but you're missing the point. Gas taxes aren't going to go away. And I am perfectly sure that oil companies aren't thrilled with any taxes on gas, so in this case the politicians aren't doing what big businesses want. We have an oil dependency that we aren't going to cure, but a little pressure on OPEC can't hurt in letting them increase the supply so prices come down. So, instead of whining about taxes, do something for yourself and your fellow automobile enthusiasts, AND your economy by not buying gas for 3 days. The benefits certainly outweigh the minor costs. <p>: -Soko<p></i>I now buy gas once, maybe twice a week. That's up to five days in a row where I don't buy gas right now. A bunch of people not buying gas on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday will be clogging the gas stations on Tuesday and Saturday.<br>Final score? The People: 0. The Man: Something to laugh about in the boardroom on Monday morning.<p>Again: reducing consumption will hurt the producer of any product. If you're driving a car, you're consuming gasoline and there is no effect on the supplier.

Soko
03-04-2000, 11:52 AM
<i>: : : : Last year on April 30,1999, a gas out was staged<br>: : : : across Canada and the U.S. to bring the price of gas<br>: : : : down, and it worked. It's time to do something about<br>: : : : it again. Only this time lets make it for three days<br>: : : : instead of just one.<p>: : : : The so-called oil cartel decided to slow production to<br>: : : : drive up gasoline prices. Lets see how many<br>: : : : Canadian\American people we can get to ban together<br>: : : : for a three day period in April, NOT TO BUY ANY<br>: : : : GASOLINE, during those three days.<p>: : : : LETS HAVE A GAS OUT. Do not buy any gasoline from<br>: : : : APRIL 7,2000, THROUGH APRIL 9, 2000. Buy what you need<br>: : : : before the dates listed above, or after, but try not<br>: : : : to buy any during the GAS OUT. If you want to help,<br>: : : : just send this to everyone you know and ask them to do<br>: : : : the same. We brought the prices down once before, and<br>: : : : we can do it again. Come on North America lets stand<br>: : : : together. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>: : : : Even if you receive this 100 times keep passing it<br>: : : : around, this way you know everyone is being informed<br>: : : : and no one will forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>: : : I agree with Sean... But, also understand the political enforcment and control... The one thing I do know is that we do have cheap gas - and we don't have enough oil to last forever... What happens when we have switched to an alternitive fuel (forcefully - becuase we did run out of oil) an we can't drive of beloved 2002's? A little sad to have invested $20,000+ and not be able to drive it becuase we "whined" about low fuel prices... NOW, what is the problem is the government who adds taxes to everything - including $.30 - $.80+ to every gallon! That's something we should get upset about. Keep those greedy-lowsy, money hungry, "do what ever big buisnesses say as long as they pay" people out of office and set up a "new" tax structure...Just a thought...<p>: : : Edward (love my BMW's and love to drive them...) <p>: : Hey, I love my BMWs and love to drive them too, no doubt, but you're missing the point. Gas taxes aren't going to go away. And I am perfectly sure that oil companies aren't thrilled with any taxes on gas, so in this case the politicians aren't doing what big businesses want. We have an oil dependency that we aren't going to cure, but a little pressure on OPEC can't hurt in letting them increase the supply so prices come down. So, instead of whining about taxes, do something for yourself and your fellow automobile enthusiasts, AND your economy by not buying gas for 3 days. The benefits certainly outweigh the minor costs. <p>: : -Soko<p>: I now buy gas once, maybe twice a week. That's up to five days in a row where I don't buy gas right now. A bunch of people not buying gas on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday will be clogging the gas stations on Tuesday and Saturday.<br>: Final score? The People: 0. The Man: Something to laugh about in the boardroom on Monday morning.<p>: Again: reducing consumption will hurt the producer of any product. If you're driving a car, you're consuming gasoline and there is no effect on the supplier.<p>If there is a temporary negative demand shock, it won't change the fact that we need gas, put it does pose an inconvenience to the oil companies. Think abou what happens when there is no need for gas in 3 days. That is three days when the oil companieshave to deal with shipping issues (i.e. sending trucks to refill pumps that aren't empty), and causes an extra three days worth of inventory. When you think about the daily gasoline consumtion level in the United States, I'm sure that you can see the effects of an extra three days worth of gas that the companies have to manage. Like I said before, our long run demand is not going to change for oil, and the price levels now aren't going to cause most automobile owners to start riding their bikes or walking, so if we can't change our permanent habits, let's change them for a few days. It's better than doing nothing

Soko
03-05-2000, 05:38 PM
<i>: : Last year on April 30,1999, a gas out was staged<br>: : across Canada and the U.S. to bring the price of gas<br>: : down, and it worked. It's time to do something about<br>: : it again. Only this time lets make it for three days<br>: : instead of just one.<p>: : The so-called oil cartel decided to slow production to<br>: : drive up gasoline prices. Lets see how many<br>: : Canadian\American people we can get to ban together<br>: : for a three day period in April, NOT TO BUY ANY<br>: : GASOLINE, during those three days.<p>: : LETS HAVE A GAS OUT. Do not buy any gasoline from<br>: : APRIL 7,2000, THROUGH APRIL 9, 2000. Buy what you need<br>: : before the dates listed above, or after, but try not<br>: : to buy any during the GAS OUT. If you want to help,<br>: : just send this to everyone you know and ask them to do<br>: : the same. We brought the prices down once before, and<br>: : we can do it again. Come on North America lets stand<br>: : together. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>: : Even if you receive this 100 times keep passing it<br>: : around, this way you know everyone is being informed<br>: : and no one will forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>: The trick is to not USE gas for three days - this means not driving. If you don't BUY gas for three days but continue to drive, you'll simply be buying three days worth of gas at some other time. <br>: Also worth considering: in the USofA, gasoline is one of the cheapest things you can buy. Compare the price of a gallon of gas vs a gallon of milk in 1970 vs 2000.<br>: Bottled water is more expensive than gasoline.<br>: If you want to do something, walk to the store once in a while. Ride a bicycle or a motorcycle or a bus to work once in a while.<br>: Mindless "activism" only makes things worse for all of us.<p>Don't take what I said in my last response too seriously, I wrote it after coming back from a frat party. I did a good amount of research into the subject, and have revised my stance on the issue. <p>The reason for the high prices of gasoline now are due to historically low oil supplies. Now we are seeing the result of OPEC's production cutbacks from over a year ago when crude was down near $10 a barrel. In this current case, refineries have to cut production because they can't get enough oil to convert to gas.<br>Additional supply problems are due to inoperative refineries on the west coast (chevron had a fire at one of their refineries which is currently shut down). Since California has the most consumer demand for gasoline, pressure is on the refineries to bring in gas from other locations. This is difficult because CA gas has to meet stricter standards, so to find gas that meets CA's standards, refineries have to look harder and pay more. Additionally, the midwest has problems meeting demand because of insufficient refining capacity, so they must import gas, which is costly due to their location and associated transportation costs.<br>So, in this case, everything is in the hands of OPEC, and if they do decide to increase supply, it will take some time for gas prices to decrease. The magnitute of the problem will increase with coming months because of the high demand for gasoline in the summer.<br>So, in short<br>1. We have a low short-term and long-term supply of oil<br>2. Demand is high and rising<br>3. The only determinant of long-term supply is OPEC<p>I bet you're all wondering what this all means.<br>If we have a gas-out, prices *might* go down due to a short-term 3 day supply increase, and a temporary decrease in consumer demand. So, where will you find me during those 3 days? AT THE PUMP!<br>I'll be filling every container I can find with good old 93 octane if the price drops the slightest bit, 'cause it's not going to get cheaper! Sorry, but my opportunism is a much greater force than misguided activism. <br>As for alternative transportation, diesel gets cheap in non-winter months (i've seen it drop over $0.60 since january where I live), so if the prices are getting to you, grab a 524td and laugh on your way home from the pump. (probably the only time you'll laugh in that car)<p>That's the latest, spread the word!<p>-Soko

Kamron
03-09-2000, 08:30 PM
</i>Gas prices will always go up! There is nothing we can do about it. We are burning gas at an astounding rate and should be happy with the low prices here in the U.S. Don't get me wrong, it does suck to pay as much as $1.80/gal for the fuel my 733i loves so well, so I do my part by walking to work and school most every day. I use my motorcycle for short trips to the grocery store. And I consolidate erands that require the big 7 into one trip. It has been about a month since the last time I have had to buy gas. Let's also try to remember that a large percentage of the homes in the northeast United States and Canada (I presume) use oil furnaces. That oil comes from the same ground that our gas comes from and anyone in those regions will tell you that it has been a very cold winter. This has dramatically increased demand for heating oil and reduced the oil reserves causing prices to increase. I doubt that a "gasout" will have any affect on the price we pay at the pump. But don't worry, I probably won't be buying gas that day anyway.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index