Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Patrick
03-05-2000, 11:56 PM
Well, the time has come to address the flickering lights on my climate control ('84 733i), as it is getting harder and harder to coax the system into engaging. Here are my symptoms:<br>When I turn the "volume" thumbwheel, the green light above the mode I chose is either dim with no blower operation, off w/ no blower operation, or flickering on and off with intermittent blower operation and a relay type clicking sound.<br>When the light is dim, if I turn the wheel to the full volume position, the light goes out completely (I believe that at this position the fan is supposed to get full battery voltage).<br>I think there is a slight vacuum leak as I get hot air through my defrost vent when the engine is under heavy load (even w/ system off)<br>The defrost function always works.<p>From my research in the factory manual and Callan's web-page, I believe that the microswitch on the thumbwheel board is bad. Has anyone found a fix other than replacing the board?? If not, where have people been able to locate the boards at a reasonable price??<p>Thanks<br>Patrick<br>'84 733i

Valdez
03-06-2000, 08:28 PM
<i>: Well, the time has come to address the flickering lights on my climate control ('84 733i), as it is getting harder and harder to coax the system into engaging. Here are my symptoms:<br>: When I turn the "volume" thumbwheel, the green light above the mode I chose is either dim with no blower operation, off w/ no blower operation, or flickering on and off with intermittent blower operation and a relay type clicking sound.<br>: When the light is dim, if I turn the wheel to the full volume position, the light goes out completely (I believe that at this position the fan is supposed to get full battery voltage).<br>: I think there is a slight vacuum leak as I get hot air through my defrost vent when the engine is under heavy load (even w/ system off)<br>: The defrost function always works.<p>: From my research in the factory manual and Callan's web-page, I believe that the microswitch on the thumbwheel board is bad. Has anyone found a fix other than replacing the board?? If not, where have people been able to locate the boards at a reasonable price??<p>: Thanks<br>: Patrick<br>: '84 733i<p><br></i>

Valdez
03-06-2000, 08:32 PM
<i>: Well, the time has come to address the flickering lights on my climate control ('84 733i), as it is getting harder and harder to coax the system into engaging. Here are my symptoms:<br>: When I turn the "volume" thumbwheel, the green light above the mode I chose is either dim with no blower operation, off w/ no blower operation, or flickering on and off with intermittent blower operation and a relay type clicking sound.<br>: When the light is dim, if I turn the wheel to the full volume position, the light goes out completely (I believe that at this position the fan is supposed to get full battery voltage).<br>: I think there is a slight vacuum leak as I get hot air through my defrost vent when the engine is under heavy load (even w/ system off)<br>: The defrost function always works.<p>: From my research in the factory manual and Callan's web-page, I believe that the microswitch on the thumbwheel board is bad. Has anyone found a fix other than replacing the board?? If not, where have people been able to locate the boards at a reasonable price??<p>: Thanks<br>: Patrick<br>: '84 733i<p><br></i>I have that same problem with my 735i it clicks for about two minutes then it stops and everything starts working again I would appreciate any help with this also one thing i tried a while ago I bent the small arms in the micro switch to apply more pressure to the contacts when activated it worked for 3 months then it came back if any body has other ideas please help. thanks

sean
03-07-2000, 07:00 AM
<i>: Well, the time has come to address the flickering lights on my climate control ('84 733i), as it is getting harder and harder to coax the system into engaging. Here are my symptoms:<br>: When I turn the "volume" thumbwheel, the green light above the mode I chose is either dim with no blower operation, off w/ no blower operation, or flickering on and off with intermittent blower operation and a relay type clicking sound.<br>: When the light is dim, if I turn the wheel to the full volume position, the light goes out completely (I believe that at this position the fan is supposed to get full battery voltage).<br>: I think there is a slight vacuum leak as I get hot air through my defrost vent when the engine is under heavy load (even w/ system off)<br>: The defrost function always works.<p>: From my research in the factory manual and Callan's web-page, I believe that the microswitch on the thumbwheel board is bad. Has anyone found a fix other than replacing the board?? If not, where have people been able to locate the boards at a reasonable price??<p>: Thanks<br>: Patrick<br>: '84 733i<p></i>Mine seems to work in concert with the actual temperature in the car. I think it's tied to the OBC somehow. Does anyone know if this is true?

David
03-21-2000, 05:51 PM
I recently solved that same problem in my '83 733i, the hot connection to the board had burned out at the contacts with the multi-wire plug. I simply wired that connection around the plug. I carefully soldered a new wire onto the board just past the damage (where the continuity tester indicated the ribbon was open), put in a new plug, and clipped the loom end out of the plug to add the new plug end. This may not be your exact problem, but a bad connection or bad hot lead may be the culprit. Not expensive, but a little bit of detective work with a multimeter. And you'll need a wiring diagram.<p><i>: Well, the time has come to address the flickering lights on my climate control ('84 733i), as it is getting harder and harder to coax the system into engaging. Here are my symptoms:<br>: When I turn the "volume" thumbwheel, the green light above the mode I chose is either dim with no blower operation, off w/ no blower operation, or flickering on and off with intermittent blower operation and a relay type clicking sound.<br>: When the light is dim, if I turn the wheel to the full volume position, the light goes out completely (I believe that at this position the fan is supposed to get full battery voltage).<br>: I think there is a slight vacuum leak as I get hot air through my defrost vent when the engine is under heavy load (even w/ system off)<br>: The defrost function always works.<p>: From my research in the factory manual and Callan's web-page, I believe that the microswitch on the thumbwheel board is bad. Has anyone found a fix other than replacing the board?? If not, where have people been able to locate the boards at a reasonable price??<p>: Thanks<br>: Patrick<br>: '84 733i<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index