Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Grant
03-15-2000, 08:19 AM
I am replacing all four shocks. Problem: I can not get the lower section of the rear shocks off of the member that secures them. I can get the 22 mm bolt off, but can not get the bushing to slide out. Anybody have suggestions on how to remove the bushing? Let me know.

DenisM
03-15-2000, 10:40 AM
<i>I had the same problem with my 83' 733i. I had to heat the metal on the "A" frame around the shock mount. I also had to be careful because I was reusing the shocks. If you are replacing the shocks, then heat the assembly with a propane torch and give the bottom of the shock a good whack with a large hammer.<p>Denis<p></i>

Bill Bowes
03-15-2000, 11:48 AM
You need a bigger hammer. Don't use a metal one though is you want to re-use the bolt.

Bob
03-15-2000, 12:21 PM
<i>: I am replacing all four shocks. Problem: I can not get the lower section of the rear shocks off of the member that secures them. I can get the 22 mm bolt off, but can not get the bushing to slide out. Anybody have suggestions on how to remove the bushing? Let me know. <p></i>-------------------------------------------<br>Make sure you don't have the weight of the suspension on the hanging shock as this makes it harder to remove.

Grant
03-15-2000, 06:03 PM
<i>: I had the same problem with my 83' 733i. I had to heat the metal on the "A" frame around the shock mount. I also had to be careful because I was reusing the shocks. If you are replacing the shocks, then heat the assembly with a propane torch and give the bottom of the shock a good whack with a large hammer.<p>: Denis<p><p></i><p>Thanks. I used a air hammer with a "pointed" hammer and let it hammer on the fitting for about 10 seconds and the lower section came off. No damage and the new units are on. Thanks for the response.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index