Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Terry Flanagan
03-15-2000, 03:58 PM
Hi all, been a while. Thanks to this board, both BMW's have beeen running great through the winter. Except for the thermostat and the broken nuts on the water pump housing, it was a non-event for a winter. However, all good things must come to an end. Today's problem is the shifting in my 83 733i 5spd. 1st and reverse are a real pain in the composter to find. You end up in one or the other. I got under the car and found that there is more play in the linkage of the cars linkage than there is in the linkage for a spare tranny that I have. Could this problem be as simple as a messed up busshing at the front/tranny end of the shifting rod? Or is it internal? <br>Thanks in advance to all respondents.

sean
03-15-2000, 06:08 PM
<i>: Hi all, been a while. Thanks to this board, both BMW's have beeen running great through the winter. Except for the thermostat and the broken nuts on the water pump housing, it was a non-event for a winter. However, all good things must come to an end. Today's problem is the shifting in my 83 733i 5spd. 1st and reverse are a real pain in the composter to find. You end up in one or the other. I got under the car and found that there is more play in the linkage of the cars linkage than there is in the linkage for a spare tranny that I have. Could this problem be as simple as a messed up busshing at the front/tranny end of the shifting rod? Or is it internal? <br>: Thanks in advance to all respondents. <p></i>Are the bolts holding the linkage to the tranny tight? I haven't been through this on my 733 but I had a 2002 where the bolts loosened up and I couldn't get 2nd or 4th - I was as if the H pattern had rotated backwards a bit. Hopefully your problem is as simple.

Callan
03-15-2000, 07:09 PM
If the link isn't worn at either bushed end, then check the 2 allen bolts that hold the rubber support blocks to the transmission. These like to loosen up. Also, the rubber blocks fall apart from oil contact, and their own bolts that go through them and hold the top shifter plate loosen up as well.<p>There are bushings at each end of the linkage, these wear out. You replace the parts as needed to restore the right play and shifting ability.<br>Sometimes the shifter plate will crack with age and you'll need that too.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index