Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ron Poole
03-18-2000, 04:33 PM
I have no previous BMW experience, but lots on other makes and all the tools. I know of an 83 733i which I can probably get for $1400. Body, upholstery good, seems to run OK, but A/C blows cold only through defrost vents wherever control is set, radio does not come on/ antenna does not raise and digital display on right hand side of dash is blank no matter what buttons I push. I am real good on electrics, have scope etc if I need it. Is the price good and am I opening a can of worms with these problems. Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated, as I am definately buying a BMW soon and prefer a car that needs tinkering to make it "mine" but not at astronomical cost.<br>Thanks in advance. Ron

Sean
03-18-2000, 05:15 PM
<i>: I have no previous BMW experience, but lots on other makes and all the tools. I know of an 83 733i which I can probably get for $1400. Body, upholstery good, seems to run OK, but A/C blows cold only through defrost vents wherever control is set, radio does not come on/ antenna does not raise and digital display on right hand side of dash is blank no matter what buttons I push. I am real good on electrics, have scope etc if I need it. Is the price good and am I opening a can of worms with these problems. Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated, as I am definately buying a BMW soon and prefer a car that needs tinkering to make it "mine" but not at astronomical cost.<br>: Thanks in advance. Ron<p></i>733i is not as cheap to own as other older BMW's. The engine is nice - plenty of power. The weak link in this car is the HVAC system. Parts usually have to be ordered - the most expensive thing I've had to replace were the flywheel sensors at about 100 bucks a piece. I probably could've replaced one but I needed the car and figured it would be wise to replace both.<br>I got mine for $1100 so I can't really complain, but this car is more complicated than other BMW's I've had.<br>Also - if it's got an auto tranny you'll want to make sure it's in good shape. I have a std trans but I hear an auto rebuild will set you back.

Callan
03-18-2000, 05:28 PM
If the OBC and radio ant aren't on the same fuse. then the tiny fuse inside the OBC control unit has probably blown. It's fairly easy to get to, and you can buy replacement fuses at Radio Shack.<br>Sometimes the control unit get water in it, as it's mounted behind the left footwell speaker at the inner body section, and is vulnerable to a certain screw letting in water or clogged front sunroof drains.<p>If any of the vent choices only dump air out of the defrost vents, then you have a vacuum leak in the system and also possibly a dead electrical vacuum pump. The system is designed to "default" to defrost vent control if either the vacuum isn't enough to run the vent motors or if you lose the main elctrical control.<p>Test all portions of the system before buying, could be that just the face vent motor or the recir. motor has died, and you only lose vacuum during the usage of that particular vacuum motor. Esp. if the "Auto" or UP/Down heater section works OK. These tend to bypass the face vents and recir. functions unless you set the temp. knob to full cool when in the "Auto" heater mode.<p>Try just the interior air.recir. button while the heat is set to "hot" to see what the system does.<p>Look for rear fender rust, trunk smells, and gas leakage from the left side of the tank[rotting vent tubes that rust at the top of the tank]<p>

David
03-21-2000, 05:33 PM
Vacuum leak in air distribution system is likely. Same symptoms on mine resulted from a UV-destroyed 3-way connector under the air intake grill. Price is in the ballpark depending, of course, on mileage, engine condition (compression? Oil leaks?, evidence of overheating?, clean oil and coolant?, etc. Check trunk for evidence of water leaks and rust. Auto trans is, IMHO, risky b/c of high replacement/rebuild expense-they are now being junked when those trannies go. Check condition of exhaust system (pricey)and cooling system as well. Mine with 339K runs great and is the most reliable car we own. If you enjoy tinkering, be prepared for an ecstatic car ownership experience.<p><i>: I have no previous BMW experience, but lots on other makes and all the tools. I know of an 83 733i which I can probably get for $1400. Body, upholstery good, seems to run OK, but A/C blows cold only through defrost vents wherever control is set, radio does not come on/ antenna does not raise and digital display on right hand side of dash is blank no matter what buttons I push. I am real good on electrics, have scope etc if I need it. Is the price good and am I opening a can of worms with these problems. Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated, as I am definately buying a BMW soon and prefer a car that needs tinkering to make it "mine" but not at astronomical cost.<br>: Thanks in advance. Ron<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index