Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

aaron
03-20-2000, 02:23 PM
While removing my zf tranny in my 86 735i, one of the sensors wouldn't come out of the bellhousing. It seems to have a ridge around the top of the metal sensor, and also a tiny burr. could i just unplug it at the other end to facilitate removal, and how important is the condition of the sensor, (will i need a new one?). <br>Thanks,<p>Aaron<br>86 735i

sean
03-20-2000, 05:51 PM
<i>: While removing my zf tranny in my 86 735i, one of the sensors wouldn't come out of the bellhousing. It seems to have a ridge around the top of the metal sensor, and also a tiny burr. could i just unplug it at the other end to facilitate removal, and how important is the condition of the sensor, (will i need a new one?). <br>: Thanks,<p>: Aaron<br>: 86 735i<p></i>The sensors should work or not work, although mine seemed to work intermittently for a few weeks before they went bad. If you remove the screw holding the sensor in, you should be able to give it a slight back and forth twist to get it out. I don't know for sure but it looks like it would be bad to put a kink in the wire...

Callan
03-20-2000, 11:05 PM
spark. Spray a penertrating oil onto the tip, and let it soak repeatedly. Usually this will allow the sensor to be removed. Any burrs are from something hitting the tip, like the flywheel welded tip for the reference sensor that may have broken off at one point.<br>Be careful about turning it too much in the bell housing. If the outer shell works loose from the inner guts, they won't work anymore.<br>Worse case scen. unplugg the connector on top, work the wire down, don't bend it if at all possible. Then finish removing the trans.<br>Play with the sensor after the trans is out, you'll have more room to work on it .<br>A thin coating of silicone grease on the body of the sensor before you reinstall it helps to prevent the sensor from getting stuck again.

Bob
03-21-2000, 01:05 AM
If you cannot extract it, test it with an ohm meter. If it checks good (about 925 ohms if memory serves), you COULD leave it and carefully remove the bell housing with the sensor/wire attached.<p>After reassembly, beside using the resistance to check it, you can hook up a milliammeter across the sensor output to see if the meter "wiggles" +/- as you crank the engine. The sensor produces a voltage spike as the flywheel rotates.<p>Bob<p></i>

aaron
03-22-2000, 12:04 PM
<i>: spark. <p>Well if it turns out bad, what are my replacement options? Used? Thanks for the help everyone.<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index