Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

sean
03-23-2000, 06:52 PM
The door doesn't open via power locks and the manual lock button has come unhitched, so this door is closed for good!<br>I took out the rear seat hoping there would be some access to the locking mechanism but there was none. I can't get at the lower door panel screws without opening the door...<br>I tried to use a slim jim but I was told that will only work in a door with a lock cylinder - I had no luck trying this.<br>The front passenger door latch will open the door when it's locked but not the rear. Is there a kid lock I can turn off? <p>Help!

Callan
03-23-2000, 08:04 PM
OK< here we go. The child lock is only easily gotten to with the door open, as it's on the side of the door. <br>If you have the later style door panel, there will be no bottom screws if I remember right, just the ones in the door pull handle. You will have to pull the inner door bezel trim off. <br>If you have the older panel style, the one that has more mounting screws around in various places, like at the door handle trim, then just work as many of the screws out as possible. <p>Most of the tiny bottom screws have pulled through the material of the door panel at the bottom from water expousure anyway. So the plastic clips going around the inner side of the door panel will be your real sticking point. Luckily there aren't very many, maybe four or so. <br>You don't have to pull the wood out, leave it alone. Use the other rear door as your guide, since it still opens.<p>Try to push the upper section of the panel under and away from the wood trim once you get all the other accessible hardware loose or removed. Then try to wiggle the panel out. It can be done, just take your time. These are much easier than the newer cars for doing this. <br>Can you swap a threaded lock rod button from another door and screw it onto the rear door that's locked up? Try to pull the lock rod as you are unlocking the car, either from the drivers side or with a helper using the key. <p>Two things usually happen on rear doors to do this, the lock motor jams in one position, the linkage gets rusty and binds up. Rarely does the wiring get a problem, but you can't rule that out.<p>Once the panel is off, take the two 6mm screws holding the lock motor loose from the door, this will allow you control of the linkage, unless the latch itself has jammed up. Spray the whole inside of the door , linkage and all with a good lube oil.

sean
03-23-2000, 10:26 PM
<i>: OK< here we go. The child lock is only easily gotten to with the door open, as it's on the side of the door. <br>: If you have the later style door panel, there will be no bottom screws if I remember right, just the ones in the door pull handle. You will have to pull the inner door bezel trim off. <br>: If you have the older panel style, the one that has more mounting screws around in various places, like at the door handle trim, then just work as many of the screws out as possible. <p>: Most of the tiny bottom screws have pulled through the material of the door panel at the bottom from water expousure anyway. So the plastic clips going around the inner side of the door panel will be your real sticking point. Luckily there aren't very many, maybe four or so. <br>: You don't have to pull the wood out, leave it alone. Use the other rear door as your guide, since it still opens.<p>: Try to push the upper section of the panel under and away from the wood trim once you get all the other accessible hardware loose or removed. Then try to wiggle the panel out. It can be done, just take your time. These are much easier than the newer cars for doing this. <br>: Can you swap a threaded lock rod button from another door and screw it onto the rear door that's locked up? Try to pull the lock rod as you are unlocking the car, either from the drivers side or with a helper using the key. <p>: Two things usually happen on rear doors to do this, the lock motor jams in one position, the linkage gets rusty and binds up. Rarely does the wiring get a problem, but you can't rule that out.<p>: Once the panel is off, take the two 6mm screws holding the lock motor loose from the door, this will allow you control of the linkage, unless the latch itself has jammed up. Spray the whole inside of the door , linkage and all with a good lube oil.<p></i>the button is still on - the linkage has come undone inside the door. I'll try to work the panel off and get at the innards of the door. I have screws along the bottom of the panel and on the opposite side the material is in good shape - I suppose if I ruin this door panel I could get another one. I'm tired of driving a 3 door car!<br>Thanks again.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index