Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Scott
03-23-2000, 09:51 PM
Hello All,<br>I am wondering how hard will it be to convert the old a/c system to the new refrigerant system. I have heard that a complete system swap will not be needed. Any ideas????<br>Thank you,<br>Scott <br>'82 733i<br>227K/Auto/Alpine White

sean
03-23-2000, 10:21 PM
<i>: Hello All,<br>: I am wondering how hard will it be to convert the old a/c system to the new refrigerant system. I have heard that a complete system swap will not be needed. Any ideas????<br>: Thank you,<br>: Scott <br>: '82 733i<br>: 227K/Auto/Alpine White<p></i>The local Auto Zone sells a kit to do the conversion - it and the refrigerant seemed pretty cheap - it was a do it yourself set up. I want to give it a try - has anyone done this?

Grant
03-24-2000, 08:22 AM
<i>: Hello All,<br>: I am wondering how hard will it be to convert the old a/c system to the new refrigerant system. I have heard that a complete system swap will not be needed. Any ideas????<br>: Thank you,<br>: Scott <br>: '82 733i<br>: 227K/Auto/Alpine White<p>I have asked this question many time on this board. Anyway I have converted many Ford and GM cars over to the 134a system and have learned the following: Replace all O-rings and gaskets on every connection. Change the expansion valve and receiver dryer. Try to get all the old oil out of the system. Use AC flush if needed. The new oil used with 134a is not compatable with the new oil. Be sure to add new oil in the correct amount. Pull a vacuum for at least 30 minutes after re-assembly. Only add 80% of listed total of the R-12. 134a runs at higher pressure than R-12 so be sure all the connections are secured. If you have the electric fan in front of the condenser be sure that it is operating correctly. Good luck.<p></i>

Rich
03-24-2000, 11:35 PM
<i>: Hello All,<br>: I am wondering how hard will it be to convert the old a/c system to the new refrigerant system. <br></i><p>I did it on my '83 733i. F-134 pressures are too high, chances are your compressor will not take it. Personally, I think the government wants design flaws.<p> I used DURACOOL-12A. Works great. For info.--http://www.duracool.com.au/ Then find someone who sells it near you.<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index