Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : 733i gas odor

Rod
03-24-2000, 07:21 PM
I read in a few posts back about the fuel hoses on the top of the tank rotting. How could I troubleshoot this problem? I can smell gasoline in the car and around the tank. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Callan
03-24-2000, 07:33 PM
There's a metal or plastic shield right behind the L/R tire covering the hoses to the gas tank.<br>Pull it off and use a flashlight to view the hoses and venting tubes. The rubber hoses can dry-rot right off the tubing, or the tubes rust at the top of the tank, or both if you're a special person. The cover should have 3 or so 8mm headed body screws that BMW loves to use.

Rod
03-24-2000, 09:53 PM
<i>: There's a metal or plastic shield right behind the L/R tire covering the hoses to the gas tank.<br>: Pull it off and use a flashlight to view the hoses and venting tubes. The rubber hoses can dry-rot right off the tubing, or the tubes rust at the top of the tank, or both if you're a special person. The cover should have 3 or so 8mm headed body screws that BMW loves to use.<br>I pulled the shield off and I can tell this is where the leak is by the gas smell. The tubes coming out of the tank show some definite rusting. Can these tubes be replaced? Thanks.<br>Rod<br>84 733i<br>5spd/Delpin <p></i>

Rod
03-24-2000, 09:54 PM
<i>: There's a metal or plastic shield right behind the L/R tire covering the hoses to the gas tank.<br>: Pull it off and use a flashlight to view the hoses and venting tubes. The rubber hoses can dry-rot right off the tubing, or the tubes rust at the top of the tank, or both if you're a special person. The cover should have 3 or so 8mm headed body screws that BMW loves to use.<br><b>I pulled the shield off and I can tell this is where the leak is by the gas smell. The tubes coming out of the tank show some definite rusting. Can these tubes be replaced? Thanks.<br>Rod<br>84 733i<br>5spd/Delpin <p></i>

CN
03-27-2000, 09:18 PM
These tubes can be replaced but you need to lower the gas tank. Drain (or drive safely) the gas tank before lowering it.<br>You can use any aftermarket gaslines at part stores. Bring the old tubes along.<br>That's what I did.<br>CN<p><br><i>: There's a metal or plastic shield right behind the L/R tire covering the hoses to the gas tank.<br>: Pull it off and use a flashlight to view the hoses and venting tubes. The rubber hoses can dry-rot right off the tubing, or the tubes rust at the top of the tank, or both if you're a special person. The cover should have 3 or so 8mm headed body screws that BMW loves to use.<p></i>

Callan
03-27-2000, 09:41 PM
of the gas tank that are brazed/welded onto the tank. Trying to reweld new ones onto a rusty tank isn't a sound/safe idea. Are you talking about replacing the rubber hoses that are running to the metal tubes?

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index