Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : different steering radiuses (radii?)

Darius in Dallas
03-27-2000, 05:51 PM
When I make a left U-turn, my '86 735i does it so tightly and easily that I can't believe it's a big car (I really like to do it when there are people standing around so they can marvel at the agility of this big machine). But when I turn to the right (any tight turn, not necessarily a U-turn...choosing a parking space on the right is a real pain) I really feel like I'm driving a true land yacht with all of the backing up and stuff required. I do know that my steering system needs some tweaking and parts-replacing because I've developed some straight-line play in the steering wheel. Is this turning difference typical of the E23s or is there a real problem somewhere?<br>Thanx for any help or suggestions.<br>

Bob
03-27-2000, 06:02 PM
<i>: When I make a left U-turn, my '86 735i does it so tightly and easily that I can't believe it's a big car (I really like to do it when there are people standing around so they can marvel at the agility of this big machine). But when I turn to the right (any tight turn, not necessarily a U-turn...choosing a parking space on the right is a real pain) I really feel like I'm driving a true land yacht with all of the backing up and stuff required. I do know that my steering system needs some tweaking and parts-replacing because I've developed some straight-line play in the steering wheel. Is this turning difference typical of the E23s or is there a real problem somewhere?<br>: Thanx for any help or suggestions.<br>: <p></i>---------------------------------------------<br>Has it occured to you that perhaps something is bent and that they compensated by setting straight ahead closer to one end of the steering boxes travel than the other?<p>Turn your steering wheel lock-to-lock and count the turns. Then turn the wheel back 1/2 that amount. This will place it roughly in the dead center of its range. The car SHOULD be going straight ahead. If not, see if you have a bent pitman arm or something more serious. Also check the box mounting bolts.<p>Remember that the steering gears are cut with more play off center than on center. If the box is adjusted just right, it will have slight drag at center, with lots of play as you go either way off center.<p>IF you are going straight with the box displaced, there WOULD be lots of play straight ahead because eventhough the tires are going straight, the box thinks it is turned well off center.<p>Have you had the car long? Was it ever in a wreck or run into a curb really hard?<p>Bob

Darius
03-28-2000, 12:14 PM
: Have you had the car long? Was it ever in a wreck or run into a curb really hard?<p>: Bob<p></i>I've had the car for two 2 1/2 years, but the answer is yes to both questions. I bought it from a body repair shop, so I don't know how extensive the damage was before they fixed it. The steering wheel has never been centered when in the 'center' driving position. It also pulls to the left slightly. <p>I never even thought of that stuff as possible factors...that's why I love you guys on this board. I don't have the money to pay for all of the diagnosis(es) AND get them repaired. THANX!

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index