Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Grant
05-19-2000, 07:24 PM
Yesterday when I got out of the car and tried to lock the doors with the key in the left side door, the electric lock(s) would not work. I could only lock the left door manually. I then tried to lock the doors from the inside by pressing the left door button (while inside the car with all the doors closed) and that would not work. I can unlock all doors by using the key in the left door and by raising the button on the left door. I can lock and unlock all doors by using the key at the trunk lock. Is there something wrong with the door latch? Or is the lever that connects to the solenoid not in correct adjustment or is the solenoid gone bad in the left door. But then how would you explain the door locking when the key is used at the trunk? Can anyone explain what is going on here? Let me know!

Jon
05-19-2000, 09:06 PM
I would bet that the door lock micro switch is not working. This is what lock all doors from the drivers side. The central locking mech. is connected by a rod to the door lock mech. This is what allows the door lock mech to unlock all the other doors, trunk, gas door. I have also seen that if the door does not close all of the way that the whole mech. will not work. I hyave alot of experience with the door lock mech's. Try replacing a door lock cyl. lots of fun that is. I would look at the micro switch on the drivers and be sure it is working. On my 86 735 my wires broke right at the switch so now I have to lock it at the trunk. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help further as I have beem inside all of the doors to work on latches. I also have some pictures and a break down of the doors. I could scan them and Email them to you Monday at work.<p>Jon<br>

David
05-20-2000, 09:50 PM
<i>: Grant if I was a German engineer and I wanted to make this difficult I would put two microswitches inside the left door. One to lock and one to unlock. They would be operated by either the key or the inside lock button. <br>If the lock switch was out of alignment or broken, you would still be able to unlock the doors, but would not be able to lock the doors. Might be worth a look.<br>David <p></i>

Another Dave
05-22-2000, 08:59 AM
This link has Jim C's troubleshooting guide for the central locking system. Follow carefully.

cn
05-22-2000, 05:11 PM
Hi, A very good website is for CDL is:<p>http://www.bmwE30.net/tech.html<p>Good Luck.<p><i>: Yesterday when I got out of the car and tried to lock the doors with the key in the left side door, the electric lock(s) would not work. I could only lock the left door manually. I then tried to lock the doors from the inside by pressing the left door button (while inside the car with all the doors closed) and that would not work. I can unlock all doors by using the key in the left door and by raising the button on the left door. I can lock and unlock all doors by using the key at the trunk lock. Is there something wrong with the door latch? Or is the lever that connects to the solenoid not in correct adjustment or is the solenoid gone bad in the left door. But then how would you explain the door locking when the key is used at the trunk? Can anyone explain what is going on here? Let me know!<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index