Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Darius in Dallas
05-26-2000, 01:15 PM
<i><br></i>

Grant
05-26-2000, 07:01 PM
<i><br></i><p>A couple of ways to check. With the engine off, turn the fan blades by hand. There should be some stiff viscous resistance. The fan should NOT "free-wheel". With the engine running and up to normal temperature, move the throttle up to 1200-1500 RPM. There should be a steady blast of air moving past the fan and into the engine compartment. If it feels like the air is flowing out the side of the radiator with no air pressure then the clutch is not working. On a hot day, 95 degrees F. (like you now have in Dallas) I suspect that the temperature gauge may creep up if the clutch is not working properly. My 85 735i never goes over 190 degrees F. even on the hottest day at idle in heavy traffic or during high speed runs on the interstate (and I am south of you).

Bob
05-26-2000, 08:24 PM
<i><br></i>Some book mentioned on a hot engine at idle rolling a newspaper (5 sheets) and sticking it into the fan. If it stops the fan, the clutch is weak; if not, it's OK.<p>Bob<br>P.S. You can do the same with your fingers on the drivers side of center (blades turning down) to get an idea of the resistance, but you didn't hear me to tell you to do it. After feeling good and bad ones, it's very easy to tell this way.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index