Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mike
06-04-2000, 08:53 PM
I have a late 70's E23 and I have 2 probs with the HVAC system. One is that the fan does not switch on and the other is that I can only get heat from the front windsheild defroster. My car does not have AC and is full of those old roarty dials.<br>Does anyone have a diogram of the HVAC lines?

Callan
06-05-2000, 06:18 PM
If you don't have enough vacuum to run the vents, then the system is designed to allow air to the front windshield, and keep the heater valve open by spring pressure at the water valve[the defrost vent motor and the water valve are sprung open, and only close with vacuum applied]<p>Next, the old rotary dials make the best techs shiver, as that center dash is no fun to mess with. The blower motor could be seized, you could have a bad fan switch, or the multiple pin connector that hides behind the glovebox trim panel on the left side[held in with the 2 screws] can drop a single pin out from time to time.<p>Make very sure that all the fuses are good, have power through them, the older ceramic fuses are very good at corroding, just inside the holder mounting points.<br>Trace the power to that connector behind the trim panel. You take the 2 screws out to remove it.<br>If you end up checking the blower motor under the front cowl, then ask for help with that, it's tricky your first time in.<br>Leave the center dash until you absolutely have to go in, the cables and vent levers are a small mightmare for most people on this first generation Seven system.

Mike
06-08-2000, 09:40 AM
Taking the center dash apart is no prob. I checked the mulit pin connecter first and it seems fine. 2 of the vacc lines were disconnected. One from the vac res under the steering colum and one had worked it's way out of the vac connector beside that muli pin thing. The Vac pump under the hood on the other side of the fire wall is working.<p>The tester on the left hand side of my steering wheel says that a fuse is blown and I can't seem to track it down. Do you know anywhere I can get a shop manual on line for this thing.<p><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index