Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Joe1985_745i
08-10-2001, 03:06 PM
I would love to hear some real-life stories about any of these classic seven's still running. If you have one, or have heard of any astonishing feats (i.e. 400,000 miles), please share them with the board. Please tell what the car has seen, and what major stuff (rebuilds) that have been done to the car.<p>

BIG BRUCE
08-10-2001, 03:50 PM
<i><br>Well,I don't have 400k,but I do have 220,000 and the engine, trans, etc.,have never been apart-still get 26-28mpg@75mph and 23.7 combination and looks and rides like new. Car has had 1 repaint due to my introducing my bmw to bambi.Nothing serious-just lots of front sheetmetal.Oh yeah,just installed complete exhaust system replacing the original.the car is an'84!<p></i><br>

Boomer
08-11-2001, 04:56 PM
<i><br>I would love to hear some real-life stories about any of these classic seven's still running. If you have one, or have heard of any astonishing feats (i.e. 400,000 miles), please share them with the board. Please tell what the car has seen, and what major stuff (rebuilds) that have been done to the car.<p></i>My 1983 733i after an oil change new spark plugs and a bottle of Redline S1 injector cleaner took family for ride to near by amusement park in VA. The Silverjet(name kids gave car)got us there safely and swiftly. My wife was really impressed with ride and feel of the car. The Silverjet stayed in the left lane for the entire trip and is a joy to drive on the VA. highways, Have to keep an eye out for troopers though because the car can go. I have over 160,000 miles,new exhaust in 2000, new brakes and have bilstein shocks on order with some new Sumitomo tires.<br>The car even for it's age is fun to drive. I have my eye on a 750 next.<br>

john 85 745 / 87 L6
08-12-2001, 05:33 PM
<i>I HAVE A 1985 745i WHICH I BOUGHT IN FEBRUARY 2001. IT HAD 150,000 MILES ON THE ODOMETER, TODAY IT HAS 160,000 AND THE CAR IS A ROCKET. I USE IT EVERYDAY TO GO TO WORK AND I HAVE 22 MILES OF NON-TROOPER HIGHWAY BETWEEN HOME AND WORK. I HAVE HAD IT UPTO 110 MPH AND THE CAR IS AS SMOOTH AS IF DOING 55. RIGHT NOW I WILL BE NEEDING A TRANS. REBUILD AND PLANNING TO GET NEW RIMS AND TIRES. I BELIEVE AT THE PRICE I PAID, THIS IS THE ULTIMATE EXOTIC CAR FOR THE REGULAR MAN. > Please tell what the car has seen, and what major stuff (rebuilds) that have been done to the car.<p></i><br>

Russ
08-12-2001, 07:53 PM
I purchased my 84 733i last June (2000) from my sister who purchased it new in '84. Paid alittle more for it than what I see on the board but it was well maintained. Now has 192,000 miles on it and still runs well. Will need a cam soon but all else works fine. I finally got the HVAC system to work properly after finding and fixing several breaks in the vaccuum lines. I drive mine everywhere and in the last year have put 12,000 miles on it. It is a wonderful automobile and I am well pleased with the ride and comfort it delivers. Other than tires, rims and a rear sindow that mysteriously blew out on me one moring going to work, I have spent very little money on it.

James '82 733i
08-12-2001, 11:21 PM
Well my story isnt that odd but, my '82 733i has 176,000. I mannage to put some times 150 miles per week, just driving and doing nothing. I've had her up to 120mph 2 times, 115mph 3 times 110 about 7 times and 100......who knows how many times! I drive 30 miles each way to my girlfriends house on the highway 25 of those miles, need less to say I get there pretty fast.<br>The car has survived 3 disrespectful drivers, the previous owner burned a seat ans spilled hot chocolate eveyrwhere, My sister took it to college and it came back with 2 dented doors, and my brother who is just a plain idiot and beat it to near death (he washed it once in a year) before I got it, I wash it weekly and it has about 10 coats of wax on it now.... <p>Well thats my story, theres probably more, just I got 5 hours of sleep each night for the past 2 days, and I'm deleriously tired...<p>~James

John Stein
08-18-2001, 07:30 AM
Not much to say, 225,000 on the 745, bought it at 156,000 7 years ago. Running upto 20 psi boost, and a 3.91 LSD instead of the stock 2.93 differential. It'll break the rear end loose at 80 mph on wet pavement, and get a healthy chirp on dry pavement. Replaced most of what can be replaced in the last 7 years. Dirveshaft, brake rotors and 2 sets of pads, tranny, ac compressor and controls, wheels are 16x8 BMW, 2 sets of tires, muffler need a new one again, 2 bombs, 2 master cylinders ...... expensive yes, but what a smile maker at 20 psi boost...... Regards, John Stein <p><p><br>I would love to hear some real-life stories about any of these classic seven's still running. If you have one, or have heard of any astonishing feats (i.e. 400,000 miles), please share them with the board. Please tell what the car has seen, and what major stuff (rebuilds) that have been done to the car.<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index