Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Smitten: Questions for 745i gurus (long)

EdP.
08-12-2001, 09:19 PM
I generally hangout on the E28 board but, occasionally check out the E23 board to find out about available 745i's. You see, I've had this silly notion of putting the engine out of one into my E28 535i. I know its' been done before by others.<p>Anyway, I also keep my eye on the local market to see what comes up. Today, I went and checked out an 85 745i executive version I believe, as the car has the perforated leather seats, burl wood trim, glass moonroof, radio controls in the rear arm rests, rear a/c and other nice goodies. I guess I could get used to the luxury of it all.<p>I general, the car appears to be very well maintained, nothing Mickey-moused under the hood, the interior is really mint, no rips or tears, and the leather is supple and not cracked, even the arm rests on the front seats. <p>The engine is clean and tight, no signs of any leakage, and it runs smooth without any strange noises. The body is also quite mint, no signs of any current or previous rust anywhere, none around the inside door edges, fenders, rocker panels or floor areas. The trunk is clean and dry, no evidence of any leakage there. The car appears to have been repainted, however, it was a quality job. There are a few small scratches and chips on the car but, no dents or dings.<p>The car appears to have been loving maintained for most or all of its' life. This is where the problems are however, there are no records with the car, so, the history is unknown at this point. The a/c seems to blow fairly cold, but, the blower seems a bit weak, and the controls a bit funky. I believe I've read about the HVAC in these cars being problematic, yes? The odometer reads 176+k miles and doesn't currently work. The transmission seems to slip on occasion rather than go in 4th gear. The engine pulls extremely strongly above 3,000 rpms or so when the turbo kicks in, my 535i could only dream of doing so. No signs of blue smoke when the car is started or running.<p>The transmission in these cars is the 4hp22Eh (or whatever) with the multimode switch, the same unit as in the 535 and 635's? What are the signs of the transmission failing, what I experienced, or could what I saw be related to a bad electrical connection or tranny brain issue, or maybe just in need of a service? <p>I think I could pick the car up quite reasonably, however, I almost feel like it would be a crime to pull the motor considering how nice the rest of the car is. What is the going range of prices for a 745i in this condition. I still need to check out the car more closely, get it on a lift and see what things look like, and if there are any indications of the engine and/or transmission having been rebuilt, looking under the car, there's alot of shiny parts that look fresh or very well clean on the eng, & tranny.<p>Would anyone be interested in the body and interior if I pulled the engine and associated control units? I do have a really strong 88 3.5 M30 motor that was pulled from a totalled 535i that I parted out that could be put in it.<p>How about a 5 spd conversion from a 735i, anyone done that?<p>One other question, there is a rocker switch below and to the right of the steering wheel where the window circuit breaker is on an E28, what is this? Also below that there is a very thin rocker switch and a small rotary knob, any idea what they are. I thought maybe controls for a radar detector, although I didn't notice any display from one? <p>Any thoughts or opinions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index