Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mike W.
08-17-2001, 01:23 AM
I know on the domestic iron many say the key to auto tranny life is to keep it cool and install an aux cooler rather than the radiator one. My obvious question is why isn't this used on BMW's given the fragility of their slushboxes? (can you tell I'm a 5-speed guy at heart?) This most recent aquisition to my fleet is an 83 733 with A/T with 250k on the clock and no evidence that the tranny has been done yet, and I don't want have to do it!<p>Mike W.

John Stein
08-19-2001, 07:18 AM
<p>I put a trannycooler and a temp gauge on my 85 745.<p>Even in August stuck in traffic heat in Atlanta, I have never seen it above 175. <p>One secret to 4hp22eh long life is keep em cool and use synthetics (I use Mobil 1 auto tranny fluid in the autobox and the spowesteering system..)<p>And don't ever ever ever ever rev the engine with the car in park or neutral (like when charging the A/C). If your tranny is original without the updated clutch packs, you will burn them to a crisp and require a VERY expensive tranny service / rebuild.<p>Good luck..<p>John Stein<br>85 745 w/ <p><br> <br>I know on the domestic iron many say the key to auto tranny life is to keep it cool and install an aux cooler rather than the radiator one. My obvious question is why isn't this used on BMW's given the fragility of their slushboxes? (can you tell I'm a 5-speed guy at heart?) This most recent aquisition to my fleet is an 83 733 with A/T with 250k on the clock and no evidence that the tranny has been done yet, and I don't want have to do it!<p>Mike W.<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index