Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : How to replace A/C Belt on 84 733i???

Gary Dietz
08-20-2001, 09:15 AM
Ok, this sounds really stupid. ANYBODY should be able to replace the belts on their car. But I am stumped. The PS belt and the alternator belt both have nice adjusters, on the PS or alternator bracket. But I simply cannot find an adjuster on the A/C pump (on my 1984 733i) that will allow me to put enough slack in the belt to remove it. In frustration I simply cut it, so that I could replace the other 2 belts. But I need to know the magic procedure in order to re-install this belt. Is there an adjuster hidden somewhere?<p>Thanks - Gary

Jerry
08-20-2001, 10:38 AM
No adjuster on the AC compressor. There are two bolts on the very bottom of the compressor and two bolts on top of the compressor. You will need to loosen all 4 bolts. Then just slide the compressor towards the engine. It will still be a little tight sliding the belt on as the compressor will hit the mounting "flange" before the top bolts run out of adjustment space (Hope that makes sense! If not, it will when you do it).<p>Jerry<p><i><br>Ok, this sounds really stupid. ANYBODY should be able to replace the belts on their car. But I am stumped. The PS belt and the alternator belt both have nice adjusters, on the PS or alternator bracket. But I simply cannot find an adjuster on the A/C pump (on my 1984 733i) that will allow me to put enough slack in the belt to remove it. In frustration I simply cut it, so that I could replace the other 2 belts. But I need to know the magic procedure in order to re-install this belt. Is there an adjuster hidden somewhere?<p>Thanks - Gary<p></i><br>

Gary Dietz
08-20-2001, 03:32 PM
I'll give it a shot. Thanks!<p>Gary<p><i><br>No adjuster on the AC compressor. There are two bolts on the very bottom of the compressor and two bolts on top of the compressor. You will need to loosen all 4 bolts. Then just slide the compressor towards the engine. It will still be a little tight sliding the belt on as the compressor will hit the mounting "flange" before the top bolts run out of adjustment space (Hope that makes sense! If not, it will when you do it).<p>Jerry<p><br>Ok, this sounds really stupid. ANYBODY should be able to replace the belts on their car. But I am stumped. The PS belt and the alternator belt both have nice adjusters, on the PS or alternator bracket. But I simply cannot find an adjuster on the A/C pump (on my 1984 733i) that will allow me to put enough slack in the belt to remove it. In frustration I simply cut it, so that I could replace the other 2 belts. But I need to know the magic procedure in order to re-install this belt. Is there an adjuster hidden somewhere?<p>Thanks - Gary<p><br></i><br>

BillA '84 733i
08-21-2001, 03:19 PM
<i><br>I had to loosen eveerything, get the belt started on the crank pulley (observe rotation), and then pop the starter (coil disconnected)<br>kind of a chore<p>I'll give it a shot. Thanks!<p>Gary<p><br>No adjuster on the AC compressor. There are two bolts on the very bottom of the compressor and two bolts on top of the compressor. You will need to loosen all 4 bolts. Then just slide the compressor towards the engine. It will still be a little tight sliding the belt on as the compressor will hit the mounting "flange" before the top bolts run out of adjustment space (Hope that makes sense! If not, it will when you do it).<p>Jerry<p><br>Ok, this sounds really stupid. ANYBODY should be able to replace the belts on their car. But I am stumped. The PS belt and the alternator belt both have nice adjusters, on the PS or alternator bracket. But I simply cannot find an adjuster on the A/C pump (on my 1984 733i) that will allow me to put enough slack in the belt to remove it. In frustration I simply cut it, so that I could replace the other 2 belts. But I need to know the magic procedure in order to re-install this belt. Is there an adjuster hidden somewhere?<p>Thanks - Gary<p><br></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index