Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

BigAl_733i
08-21-2001, 02:19 PM
my engine does not idle smooth, it smels like gas when its hot out, my defrost vents always blow out hot air, and my blower motor will not turn on.

Jens T.M.745
08-21-2001, 08:37 PM
Al what did you do????????????<br>Hot issue = could be seal leaking at Injectors.<br>Only hot air = could be AC relay on top of blower,<br>as well as blower relay on top of blower.<p>Rough idle = Vacuum leak,Idle Speed Stabalizer, which would<br>be a vacuum leak, O2 sensor<p>And I'm sure you checked all fuses corect?<p>Sincerely Jens

Mike R.
08-21-2001, 11:16 PM
Jens or Al - <br>I am new to this board and new to a very nice 1984 733i. The two main problems are A/C and idle speed. <br>1. The A/C compressor clutch is shot so the belt is off. Was told at BMW that I could replace that clutch put the belt back on and try to fill the system (for $900) and see if it worked.<br>2. Sometimes the blower works fine, sometimes it only blows through defrost vents even though controls set to dash vents.<br>3. Engine idles very low 600-800rpm and sometimes dies under load, especially in hot Chicago weather. Was told also at BMW that the '84 had plastic idle valve and replacing with metallic would solve the problem (for $400)<p>Any help to a slightly mechanically inclined and tool-poor guy?

Ralf Stahlmann
08-22-2001, 03:21 AM
$400 is very steep and I believe unnessesary. If your existing valve costs $100 at lasted 15 years. How long do you want your $400 valve to last?<br>Also I am a bit stupid myself and I drove around with mine for a fortnight before realising that the oil dip stick wasn't fully pushed in. And on none of my previous cars this ever really mattered. Apart from maybe spilling a bit of oil. But on this car it does - do no why - to tired to think about it.

Jens T.M.745i
08-22-2001, 06:21 AM
Mike!<br>E-mail me personally, <br>I'm from Grand Rapids MI.<p>And one main thing I will tell you,<br>do NEVER let a dealer touch your car.<p>You can do it all.<p>Sincerely Jens

Mike R.
08-22-2001, 07:11 PM
Thanks. I sent a note, Jens.<p>Ralf, I will try the dipstick tonight and check seals a little harder in general. <br>P.S. The $400 valve quote was probably $300 in labor!!

demet CT 85'745
08-23-2001, 09:09 AM
By removing the dipstick or oil fill cap you are providing the engine with unmetered air. Since the engine management system doesn't know about it, it can't provide the extra fuel for this extra air. The result is that the mixture gets leaned out and produces a reduced and usually rough idle. Believe it or not, and for the same reason, another source for rough idle are really bad engine oil seals. <p>demet<p><i><br>$400 is very steep and I believe unnessesary. If your existing valve costs $100 at lasted 15 years. How long do you want your $400 valve to last?<br>Also I am a bit stupid myself and I drove around with mine for a fortnight before realising that the oil dip stick wasn't fully pushed in. And on none of my previous cars this ever really mattered. Apart from maybe spilling a bit of oil. But on this car it does - do no why - to tired to think about it.<p></i><br>

Jens T.M.745
08-23-2001, 09:22 PM
<i><br>By removing the dipstick or oil fill cap you are providing the engine with unmetered air. Since the engine management system doesn't know about it, it can't provide the extra fuel for this extra air. The result is that the mixture gets leaned out and produces a reduced and usually rough idle. Believe it or not, and for the same reason, another source for rough idle are really bad engine oil seals. <p>demet<p><br>$400 is very steep and I believe unnessesary. If your existing valve costs $100 at lasted 15 years. How long do you want your $400 valve to last?<br>Also I am a bit stupid myself and I drove around with mine for a fortnight before realising that the oil dip stick wasn't fully pushed in. And on none of my previous cars this ever really mattered. Apart from maybe spilling a bit of oil. But on this car it does - do no why - to tired to think about it.<p><br></i><br>

Jens T.M.745
08-23-2001, 09:22 PM
<i><br>By removing the dipstick or oil fill cap you are providing the engine with unmetered air. Since the engine management system doesn't know about it, it can't provide the extra fuel for this extra air. The result is that the mixture gets leaned out and produces a reduced and usually rough idle. Believe it or not, and for the same reason, another source for rough idle are really bad engine oil seals. <p>demet<p><br>$400 is very steep and I believe unnessesary. If your existing valve costs $100 at lasted 15 years. How long do you want your $400 valve to last?<br>Also I am a bit stupid myself and I drove around with mine for a fortnight before realising that the oil dip stick wasn't fully pushed in. And on none of my previous cars this ever really mattered. Apart from maybe spilling a bit of oil. But on this car it does - do no why - to tired to think about it.<p><br></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index