Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : new to the board

lugnut111
08-21-2001, 10:43 PM
Hello,<br> First time post here. My sister in law just bought a 1980 733i. It looks like its in pretty good shape. It is missing an exhaust gasket so it's extremely loud. It also has a broken hood hinge and a broken exterior passenger side door handle. Are these common problems with these cars? Where are good places to buy Maintainence items online? I am going to check the local boneyards for the door handle and hood hinge. Thanks for any help or info, I am used to working on watercooled Volkswagens and Hondas so this is an all new world to me.

jim NH(USA)_81 735_82 745_78 733
08-22-2001, 12:10 AM
<br> Sorry it is late but your car has no "normal problems" it starts and runs and has heat/ac ?<br>there are plenty of places for parts be it used or new; my favorite since it is local is<br>Bavarian Auto (bavauto.com) or maximillian<br>etc look at the archives before you jump<br>I don't think anybody is best for all parts<br>but buyer be ware . an e23 is a GREAT car <br>but not without faults.

Ralf Stahlmann
08-22-2001, 03:09 AM
Welcome,<br>By default the exhaust is a welded unit and the only two gaskets are a under the manifold by the engine (very likeky to be the culprit)and the second on the downpipe. To determine if the manifold gasket is the culprit listen for any difference in sound. If you find it becomes less loud as the engine warms up, I believe this is a sign. (ask Jens he is very helpfull and competent)<br>Otherwise it's like Jim says. It's a great car which certainly can keep you busy. Yet they are made very well. Mine has run in cold and wet Europe since 83, where they grid the roads throughout the winter with salt. And yet There is virtually no rust. Still at this age you have to expect everything to go. ONE BY ONE. Which makes it difficult to decide (trowing godd money after bad money). So unless you could think of having a special relationship with your car it's not realy worth it. But if you do, it will reward you with uncomplicated luxury driving and your model with the shark nose is in particular a very nice car with lots of character. Just have a look at the new E65 or any othe common new car. Enjoy and good luck.

Ed Teller
08-22-2001, 01:14 PM
<i><br>Hello,<br> First time post here. My sister in law just bought a 1980 733i. It looks like its in pretty good shape. It is missing an exhaust gasket so it's extremely loud. It also has a broken hood hinge and a broken exterior passenger side door handle. Are these common problems with these cars? Where are good places to buy Maintainence items online? I am going to check the local boneyards for the door handle and hood hinge. Thanks for any help or info, I am used to working on watercooled Volkswagens and Hondas so this is an all new world to me.<p></i><br>

lugnut111
08-22-2001, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the info. I know for sure the exhaust leak is a bad manifold to engine gasket. Where the exhaust exits the #4 cylinder the gasket material is half gone. This should be an easy fix. Although everyone knows how stubborn any bolt attached to the exhaust can be. <br> Ralf, I really like the look of the front end, I can see why they call it a shark nose. The car is actually my sister in laws. I am just doing some minor repairs. But I wouldn't mind having it for myself.<br> Jim, it runs and idles great. The A/C is not working. From what I have found online it sounds like BMW has had some problems with the compressors. I really haven't looked at the A/C yet so I have no idea what the problem is.<br>I really appreciate everyones comments. I am sure I will be bugging you guys in the future.

Ralf Stahlmann
08-22-2001, 08:57 PM
It's not that easy there are potential pitfalls. The bolts often shear(brake) off. Starting with those which are holding the heatshield of the manifold. Continueing with the bolts in the engine block. Of course there is no guarantee they brake, but you have a good chance. Anyhow just make sure you have drill, meteric tread cutters and bolts. You will not be driving this car to get what you need once the manifold is off. Also drilling out from the engine block can be difficult space it at a premium. Recommend flexible drill attachment. Good luck with the AC too.

lugnut111
08-23-2001, 11:31 PM
I agree with you about the bolts. I have rarely worked on an older exhaust without a bolt or two snapping. I intend to spray the bolts with liqued wrench and letting it soak in. I generally give two or three good coatings of penetrate over a period of two or three days. This seems to help. Now that you mention it I don't recall seeing a heat shield on the manifold. I will have to take another look.<br>Good idea about the flexible drill shaft. I will certainly keep that in mind.<p>It's not that easy there are potential pitfalls. The bolts often shear(brake) off. Starting with those which are holding the heatshield of the manifold. Continueing with the bolts in the engine block. Of course there is no guarantee they brake, but you have a good chance. Anyhow just make sure you have drill, meteric tread cutters and bolts. You will not be driving this car to get what you need once the manifold is off. Also drilling out from the engine block can be difficult space it at a premium. Recommend flexible drill attachment. Good luck with the AC too. <p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index