Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Shawn Daly
10-29-2007, 03:35 PM
I just spoke with the Hagerty folks to start up my policy again, now that I've changed everything from OH to TX. Guess what? They no longer cover any commute. That is, even though I am one mile from work, and (honestly) won't use it every day, the can't write the policy.

The reason I bring this up for the group's edification is that when I said that I had been driving the car to work in OH, he kind of gasped. He said they will not cover damage done at the workplace, and that it's written in the policy. Then he followed up with a little, tiny wiggle room that if you can "show" the car is not routintely sitting at work, you might be able to file a claim.

Just a thought...

And now the question: what's option #2 for policy coverage? Anybody?

80 oF. and sunny in San Antonio today!

Shawn

gkrea1
10-29-2007, 05:29 PM
hood?

When I first investigated insurance on blue1 my normal insurance co. had fine print that said if the engine had been modified in any way to increase performance the premium was immediately double the normal rate. If the car gets totaled and the fun underhood bits are discovered they probably consider that fraud and won't cover the accident. Since blue1 was an extra car I never had issue with the "parades, shows and club events only" type policy from Hagerty. I'd say keep shopping.

Wait a minute -- if you only live a mile from the office, walk!
Greg Rea
1985 M639 arctic blue shark II
1989 E32/M30 white whale
ex-1965 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible (289 auto, still in the family)
ex-1986 E24 turbo arctic blue shark I (sold 3/07)

http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=11857

freedomgli
10-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Try JC Taylor.

m735is
10-29-2007, 07:42 PM
I haven't used them, yet. Still waiting for one of my kids mistakes to come off the record.

Patton
10-29-2007, 08:18 PM
to their criteria.

sbingham
10-29-2007, 08:51 PM
On my policy it depends on how you have it rated.
A=Antique C=Classic/Modified E=Exotic T=Trailer Mime is A with a established value.

Policy definitions:

Antique vehicle means a motor vehicle 25 years or more.
1. Is maintained primarily for use in a car club activities, exhibitions, parades or other events of public interest.
2. Is used only infrequently for other purposes.

Classic is a motor vehicle of unique or rare design.
1. same as above

Regular use vehicle is used for regular driving to work.

Looks like there is a car show, exhibition or parade every day. The other is public interest. I think the public would like to see more of our cars....

http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=24557[/IMG]http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=24557

gkrea1
10-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Every time I drive the car it was a pleasure so would commuting to work be covered? The Hagerty agent politely chuckled when I proposed this scenario. And said, "No."
Greg Rea
1985 M639 arctic blue shark II
1989 E32/M30 white whale
ex-1965 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible (289 auto, still in the family)
ex-1986 E24 turbo arctic blue shark I (sold 3/07)

http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=11857

Particle
10-30-2007, 09:55 AM
It looked very violent!

Mr. Daly,

How have you been sir?

GR8WHYT
10-30-2007, 09:59 AM
---JT
'89 635CSi
'86 Alpina B7/1 Turbo Coupe, #72
'99 528i Sport - wife's grocery getter

BMW Performance (AKA New Kid)
10-30-2007, 11:12 AM
It can not be driven to work or the store. That is not to say I have not had a car show at work or at the store and nobody else came and nobody looked at the car. :) Grundy wants it for shows and pleasure trips.

Ray-2002tii
10-30-2007, 11:45 AM
That's the reason their premiums are so low. They sell collector insurance, not daily driver insurance. I have my 2 collectable with one of those companies and my 4 drivers with Mercury. My 2 collectable combined for $40,000 coverage is under $400/year with no deductable. I can't insure any of my other cars for 6 mos. for that kind of premium. Yopu might try Mercury IF you have a good driving record. I changed a year ago from another major insurance company and saved over $2000 per year switching to Mercury. They also have excellent homeowners here in California with a substantial saving if you combine car and homeowner policies. Good luck!

Lars OBG
10-30-2007, 07:17 PM
car insurance, including Hagerty and Grundy. They check up... anyone using these policies to skirt real insurance is toying with non-payment at claim time. If you are driving your car on a regular basis, buy "real" insurance, and get stiffed by the normal companies at claim time.

I always drive and drove my collector and special interest cars like they were losses when I took them out of the garage. You can't insure these cars for enough to get your money back. Buck up and assume your risks.

Particle
10-30-2007, 07:30 PM
BUT

Between the fact most cars being the worst investment a person can make in their lifetime (financially speaking) and that most of them are made to be DRIVEN (OH NOES !!!) I think that Lars is on to something!

We are men!
We have toys!
We take risks!

iam4ecu
10-30-2007, 07:44 PM

Particle
10-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Biz, school and [Oops!] kept me away from my one and only true love...

*sigh*

*humps the shark*

kuzano
10-30-2007, 08:33 PM
He surfaced and he took my side. Anyone who sides with olbimmerguy would have to be real.

Particle
10-30-2007, 08:41 PM

amthatiam
10-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Thats who I use for the M, They covered the damage for the bear 100%, I paid extra for "damage caused by other" I think it was something like $25.00 more, considering the amount that they just put out to repair the car ( $9200.00 ) that a pitence. I do use the car for the stated policy requirements, club events, meets, ocaisional pleasure driving, with a 5000 mile limit per year. Their are other Ins. co's that will cover the car all year with an agreed value clause but it will be more expensive. I was quoted $1500.00 a year through Chubb ( I'm pretty sure it was Chubb )with a $500.00 deductible and at the time $18,000.00 agreed value on my car. With hagerty I pay @ $300.00 + for $23,000.00 agreed value and the limitations listed above. hope this helps.
Danhttp://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=140917

fhaas
10-31-2007, 12:10 AM
Oh, I don't know Lars, I maybe one of those guys that gets by with using collector car policy on 85% of my cars with no issues. Of course I have 11 cars insured as collectors and 3 as normal drivers. (my 88 M6 has normal insurance but the 79 Alpina is a collector). In any case most of my collector vehicles hardly get 500 miles a year. I'm ok for up to 3500 with no problems.

I don't drive much these days (normally 5-10 mi day max), but I use my collector cars all summer with no issues. This included my Cobra and the Testarossa at times.

BTW I've had one claim and I had NO PROBLEMS getting the car fixed. They actually paid more than the estimate if you can believe that as the adjustor found somethings missed on the body shop repair bill. I was very pleased and have kept my policies with them ever since.

WH

Of course I've taken them to the track before too... lucky no claims as all the collector car policies now have exceptions regarding "school" days.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index