Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Chris 85 M635
10-31-2007, 08:46 PM
How hard is it to replace a front wheel bearing? Do I need special tools? Do I have to remove the tower and remove it on a bench with a press?

Thanks

Chris

MikeB
10-31-2007, 08:59 PM
same procedure. easy job but you do need a few tools

amthatiam
10-31-2007, 09:17 PM
a torque wrench that goes up to a least 250 FT LBS. You don't need to remove the strut tower from the car. Remove the wheel, remove the caliper and hang it from the spring with some wire or twine ( don't let it hang from the brake hose as this can damage the line internally ) Remove the rotor set screw and rotor, their is a dust cover on center of axel hub, remove it. You will see the axel nut, their is a raised lip on the nut , you will see that on one side it is dented into a ketway in the axel hub, pry this out of the keyway, use large breaker bar to remove the nut. On my car the bearings slid off without any pullers, I used a dead blow hammer and wacked the hub flange they came right off. Slide new bearing into place, install new nut and torque to 210 FT LBS. Use a punch or screw driver to bend the nut lip into the keyway on the axel stub, don't forget this as the nut could work loose with messy results. Install dust cap. You are done with the bearing. The rest as they say is the reverse of removal. Hope this helps.
Dan http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=140917

Chris 85 M635
11-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info!

Chris

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index