Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : European Options in north america

JeremyAN7
12-04-2007, 10:19 AM
My dealer called to say the order guide is in and I should come in,
BUT there may be some options I'd like from Europe..

Can someone please tell me the Order numbers for:

white indicator lights
Privacy glass (tinted windows)

What other ones would be popular that arnt on NA order guide

floyd
12-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Especially since both those options are illegal on US automobiles.

JeremyAN7
12-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Ha, i didnt ask about legality, i asked what the code numbers were

JeremyAN7
12-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Found em
White indicator lights Code 785
Sun Protection Glass code 761
TV option code 601

As for the legality of these items, I think the only one that could be "illegal" would be the white indicators. Some states have strict rules on tinted windows, but there is always a % tinting that is allowable, I cant imagine that BMW factory tint is particularly DARK
And the TV option, as far as I know wont fail you on an inspection, but is just frowned upon (I could be wrong on that one though, not sure about precidence on it).

JeremyAN7
12-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Well, my dealer changed his line from about 4 years ago when I asked this question:

Can I order a car with Euro option codes...
"We're not supposed to, but it works"

This time he answered...
"If it's not on our option list, we can't order it..."

Damn!
Neither of those options are actually illegal! I want!

floyd
12-05-2007, 01:21 PM
You're wrong about the clear indicator lights. FMVSS section 108 specifically requires AMBER.

FMVSS section 205 is the section about glazing, and although it doesn't prohibit tints, it does require other specific glass and stuff. Since these have to be certified separately from the EU standard glass, and BMW doesn't want to go the separate expense of certifying heavily tinted windows, they're effectively illegal.

JeremyAN7
12-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Regarding the clear indicators:
THen why does Mini allow you to have this option in USA? www.miniusa.com You can have it for $300

Regarding the tint... isnt that a state by state thing?

floyd
12-05-2007, 07:48 PM
The lens might be clear, but the bulb is amber. BMW doesn't use amber bulbs. And the US M3 has a unique side indicator. If you want to spend the million dollars (or whatever) it costs to add to their parts catalog and run it through the US's certification proceedures, be my guest.

The *amount* of tint is up to each state, but the *type* of glass isn't. Since factory tint is built into each window, you're again asking for something that BMW might not be able to ship to 50 states.

Arguably, the US should adopt EU standards for most of this [Oops!], then we'd not have such issues. But then the Federal Beaurocracy would get smaller, and we can't have that happenning, can we?

jjcthe1
12-06-2007, 10:15 AM
I can tell you that any shade of window tint on your front windows in the state of New Jersey is illegal. I went to college there and hated that state, I had a mustang 5.0 with tinted windows way back when, it was a huge pain in the a$$. I now live in Florida and everything is legal down here! Well, not everything.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index