Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever heard of a 3.0 CSA?

cavan
04-05-1999, 04:01 PM
Their is one in my area for sale that I have not talked to the guy, but was wondering if this was a misprint or a real car? Anyone have any information on this car please send it to me. I would love to own a 3.0 coupe and this sounds like a good deal. Info please!!!<br>thanks<br>cavan

Drew Zacharda
04-05-1999, 04:54 PM
<i>: Their is one in my area for sale that I have not talked to the guy, but was wondering if this was a misprint or a real car? Anyone have any information on this car please send it to me. I would love to own a 3.0 coupe and this sounds like a good deal. Info please!!!<br>: thanks<br>: cavan<p></i><p>It could be short for a 3.0 CS with an automatic transmission. I've heard of CSi (injected) and CSL (lightweight), but not CSA.<p>If you're near NJ, there is a '74 3.0CS for sale across the street from where I work. I could check it out if you're interested.<p>-Drew Zacharda<br>'86 528e and looking for a 6er

Andy T
04-05-1999, 05:09 PM
Yes indeed - it is a 3.0 litre coupe with automatic transmission (common years ago when manufacturers marketed and sold cars as separate models when fitted with autoboxes). The 3.0 CSA only came with a carb-fed motor, not the injection mill you find under the bonnet of a CSi.<p>Andy T<p>: Their is one in my area for sale that I have not talked to the guy, but was wondering if this was a misprint or a real car? Anyone have any information on this car please send it to me. I would love to own a 3.0 coupe and this sounds like a good deal. Info please!!!<br>: thanks<br>: cavan<p>

Gregg
04-06-1999, 10:32 PM
<br><i>: : Their is one in my area for sale that I have not talked to the guy, but was wondering if this was a misprint or a real car? Anyone have any information on this car please send it to me. I would love to own a 3.0 coupe and this sounds like a good deal. Info please!!!<br>: : thanks<br>: : cavan<p><br>: It could be short for a 3.0 CS with an automatic transmission. I've heard of CSi (injected) and CSL (lightweight), but not CSA.<p>: If you're near NJ, there is a '74 3.0CS for sale across the street from where I work. I could check it out if you're interested.<p>: -Drew Zacharda<br>: '86 528e and looking for a 6er<p></i>I may be wrong, but don't think that many (if any) had CSA script across the tail?--even if called that in literature? I've seen many 3.0CSs with autos that just have "CS" on the tail--that do not appear to be altered from OEM.

Stuart Kreitman
04-14-1999, 12:50 PM
My 2800cs automatic has "<i>Automatic</I>" under<br>the "2800cs" emblem, but I oughta remove it<br>and stow it in the parts box because its so<br>uncool. be warned- the slush box robs 30% (by<br>some estimates) of your power to the wheels.<br><i>: <br>: I may be wrong, but don't think that many (if any) had CSA script across the tail?--even if called that in literature? I've seen many 3.0CSs with autos that just have "CS" on the tail--that do not appear to be altered from OEM.<br></i>

Derin
04-16-1999, 02:13 AM
<i>: My 2800cs automatic has "Automatic</I>" under<br>: the "2800cs" emblem, but I oughta remove it<br>: and stow it in the parts box because its so<br>: uncool. be warned- the slush box robs 30% (by<br>: some estimates) of your power to the wheels.<br>: : <br>: : I may be wrong, but don't think that many (if any) had CSA script across the tail?--even if called that in literature? I've seen many 3.0CSs with autos that just have "CS" on the tail--that do not appear to be altered from OEM.<p></i>Yes you're all correct.<br>The CSA was the automatic version of the carb fed 3.0 CS. In the UK the carb version was only available as an automatic after 1973. If you wanted a manual after this date you had to go CSi or CSL.<br>I'm fortunate in that my CS is a 1972 when manual was still available and this is a much rarer car.<p>It may be of interest to people to know that 500 of the worldwide total of just over 1000 CSL's were sent to Britain in right hand dive. These cars different slightly from the german spec CSL's - being supplies with what was called 'the city pack'. This consisted of metal bumpers,electric front windows,slightly softer springs,more sound insulation and real glass in the side windows. The cars were therefore not as raw and overtly sporting as the the german cars.<p>Stuart - I don't think you should worry about taking 'automatic' badge off - it's part of your car's history and heritage - enjoy it for what it is!<br>Good luck<p>Derin

Derin
04-16-1999, 02:16 AM
<i>: : My 2800cs automatic has "Automatic</I>" under<br>: : the "2800cs" emblem, but I oughta remove it<br>: : and stow it in the parts box because its so<br>: : uncool. be warned- the slush box robs 30% (by<br>: : some estimates) of your power to the wheels.<br>: : : <br>: : : I may be wrong, but don't think that many (if any) had CSA script across the tail?--even if called that in literature? I've seen many 3.0CSs with autos that just have "CS" on the tail--that do not appear to be altered from OEM.<p>: Yes you're all correct.<br>: The CSA was the automatic version of the carb fed 3.0 CS. In the UK the carb version was only available as an automatic after 1973. If you wanted a manual after this date you had to go CSi or CSL.<br>: I'm fortunate in that my CS is a 1972 when manual was still available and this is a much rarer car.<p>: It may be of interest to people to know that 500 of the worldwide total of just over 1000 CSL's were sent to Britain in right hand drive. These cars differed slightly from the german spec CSL's - being supplied with what was called 'the city pack'. This consisted of metal bumpers,electric front windows,slightly softer springs,more sound insulation and real glass in the side windows. The cars were therefore not as raw and overtly sporting as the the german cars.<p>: Stuart - I don't think you should worry about taking 'automatic' badge off - it's part of your car's history and heritage - enjoy it for what it is!<br>: Good luck<p>: Derin <p></i>Sorry for the spelling mistakes

Marguerite
06-07-1999, 07:52 PM
Yes I too have heard of it. I have had my eye on one since the fall. Although I can't recall what the tag reads, I recall this csa being on the vin tag on the engine wall. Problem with this one is the degree of undercarriage rust that's keeping me away.<br>Pretty cool car. <p>Marguerite<br>'82 733i The Bavarian Mare (5 spd)<br>'85 528e never gets to go for a ride (5 spd)<br>'59 TR 3 gone forever<br> <br>: Their is one in my area for sale that I have not talked to the guy, but was wondering if this was a misprint or a real car? Anyone have any information on this car please send it to me. I would love to own a 3.0 coupe and this sounds like a good deal. Info please!!!<br>: thanks<br>: cavan<p>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index