Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : 1988 M6 Advice

Patrick FitzGerald
05-26-1999, 01:42 PM
Hi,<p>A friend of mine is considering purchasing a 1988 M6 with 65K miles. The car is in mint condition with clean paint and interior. It is red (zinnabarrot, no doubt) with parchment interior and has been meticulously maintained by the current owner and the previous owner. At some point it was chipped with a DINAN module. The owner is asking $25K but I told my friend that no more than $20K perhaps $20.5K is the right answer.<p>Question is, what in particular should he be aware of in terms of maintenance concerns, reliability, etc. It is a southern car, so rust shouldn't be in issue, as I know that the wings/fenders have a tendency to rust a little. What else? Electronics? Suspension (as far as I know, stock)?<p>Thanks. By the way, my friend drives a '95 540i (auto).<p>Patrick<br>'95 ///M3 Lux

Atrayue Sunn
05-27-1999, 09:29 AM
<br><i>: Hi,<p>: A friend of mine is considering purchasing a 1988 M6 with 65K miles. The car is in mint condition with clean paint and interior. It is red (zinnabarrot, no doubt) with parchment interior and has been meticulously maintained by the current owner and the previous owner. At some point it was chipped with a DINAN module. The owner is asking $25K but I told my friend that no more than $20K perhaps $20.5K is the right answer.<p>: Question is, what in particular should he be aware of in terms of maintenance concerns, reliability, etc. It is a southern car, so rust shouldn't be in issue, as I know that the wings/fenders have a tendency to rust a little. What else? Electronics? Suspension (as far as I know, stock)?<p>: Thanks. By the way, my friend drives a '95 540i (auto).<p>: Patrick<br>: '95 ///M3 Lux<p></i>Greetings Patrick, I own an 88 M6,so this reply is the best of my combined knowledge on this car. Provided the cars finish/interior, motor and tranny have not been abused, I belive your friend can get the owner to come down to 22k. Given the present condition of car i.e. mileage, as well as it being an automotive classic/exotic car owner's asking price is average. <br>The following is comprehensive of what to look for and to replace within the year should condition require replacement!<br>-front brake rotor warpage. Car will pull dramatically to left or right upon stopping. Replace both front rotors and brake pads. Go to either aftermarket cross slotted/cross drilled or OEM 850i(90),front rotors.<br>-front control arm bushings(car will shimmy at high speeds and when coming to a stop,when bushings are failing; look at front control arms and see if the rubber donut inside of them ;looks either dry or shows cracks-you can replace with either 750/850i or Dinan units.) <br>-exhaust heat shield(the entire length, from the manifold side of engine to the tailpipe<br>-see that the engine serial #'s are the same as the ones on the tranny,stamped inside the engine bay,along seam of left front fender, and on the drivers-side of firewall, also on the edge of drivers door.<br>-all weather seals,especially front windshield lower corners. Your ECM computer module is located under passenger-side of dash, any leaks in that region will cancel your car,either temporarily or perminently. <br>-car has self leveling rear suspension. Reservoir is in trunk in the spare tire well. Check fluid level and all hoses, tubing,levelling accumulators for leaks/wet spots. Accumulator, is ball shaped and located adjacent to rear shock, on the body of the wheel well. The pump, in spare tire well should activate as soon as car is started. You can apply a load to trunk, or have someone sit in rear of car, and observe to see that car levels out once started. Failure to level is usually pump related, or electrical. Pump replacement is costly!<br>-Wheel bearings and rear wheel flanges/output half-shafts/transfer-differential case seals. Again, given how car was driven, front wheel bearings should allow wheels to spin freely in turning, stopping and be noiseless in operation. Check rear wheel flanges for all 6 hex bolts, and that there are no cracks in each flange. Half-shafts should also possess all bolts, with no tears or rips to the axle boots,differential seals and coverplate should have no cracks or wet spots anywhere.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index