Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : ticking valves? '86 635

Tim
06-17-1999, 10:09 PM
I have had this 86 635 for about a year now and I love it!<br>The prior owner didn't belive or could afford the usual<br>matenence but it was a good deal and i have done alot of <br>repairs myself. I have just done a valve adjustment to <br>.012 as suggested but I still hear a ticking under higher <br>rpms. It did this before the adj. but is not as noticable <br>now. Should I be concerned about valve guide wear and what <br>other signs would point to this. Is there an option of new <br>guides with this head? Or is this a repair bomb waiting <br>to go off? THANKS<p>

bimmerbill
06-19-1999, 10:34 AM
<Did you adjust them on a cold engine? I adjust them on a cold engine to .010. You should check the camshaft lobes for wear. The easiest way is to run your fingernail across the lobe wear the rocker arm rubs the lobe. If there is a noticable groove then the cam is wearing and the valves may always tap. Hope this helps.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index