Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Will 17 inch wheels work well on a 635?

Brian G
06-29-1999, 11:31 AM
After reading an earlier post, I too need to convert my TRX wheels on my '88 635 to something else. I was wondering if 17 inch wheels would be a good size for the 635 or should I look at 16 inchers which more closely approximates the metric TRX wheels. Would the 17 inch wheels provide a noticably harsher ride than 16's?<br>Thank you,<br>Brian

Alex T.
06-29-1999, 02:20 PM
If you plus-size the 17" rims (i.e. choose a bigger rim but a shorter sidewall to achieve the same tire diameter), you'll get a harsher ride. If you don't (and go with a taller profile and hence larger diameter tire) you won't, but your gearing will be taller. It's a matter of whether you want to trade a little quickness for better cornering or not. With plus-sized wheels you'll have to watch out for potholes a little more carefully. Taller tires, on the other hand, will fill out the wheel wells a little better.<p><br><i>: After reading an earlier post, I too need to convert my TRX wheels on my '88 635 to something else. I was wondering if 17 inch wheels would be a good size for the 635 or should I look at 16 inchers which more closely approximates the metric TRX wheels. Would the 17 inch wheels provide a noticably harsher ride than 16's?<br>: Thank you,<br>: Brian<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index