Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : 82 633csi engine /injection trouble

Brian
07-02-1999, 12:35 AM
I'm trying to solve this elusive problem with my neighbor's 633; it will sometimes just quit running or not start ,hot or cold. I have replaced the air flow meter, the O2 sensor and checked the fuel pump relay(works fine).The pump had been wired by someone before to run constantly with the key in on position.???<br>corrected that,(still runs fine when it decides to).<br>The fuel pump is also less than two years old.<br>When it idles cold it does sort of a fast/slow thing.<br>Anyone ever dealt with symptoms like this or have any ideas I would be very grateful. Thanks, Brian<p>76 2002a<br>68 1600<br>67 1600euro<br>68 1600

Mike Barrett
07-02-1999, 07:37 AM
<i>: I'm trying to solve this elusive problem with my neighbor's 633; it will sometimes just quit running or not start ,hot or cold. I have replaced the air flow meter, the O2 sensor and checked the fuel pump relay(works fine).The pump had been wired by someone before to run constantly with the key in on position.???<br>: corrected that,(still runs fine when it decides to).<br>: The fuel pump is also less than two years old.<br>: When it idles cold it does sort of a fast/slow thing.<br>: Anyone ever dealt with symptoms like this or have any ideas I would be very grateful. Thanks, Brian<p>: 76 2002a<br>: 68 1600<br>: 67 1600euro<br>: 68 1600<p></i><br>If by "fast/slow thing" you mean the idle surges up and down, it is the idle control valve. BTDT. I understand this can also result in no-starting problems.<p>Mike Barrett

Brian
07-04-1999, 12:18 AM
<i>: : I'm trying to solve this elusive problem with my neighbor's 633; it will sometimes just quit running or not start ,hot or cold. I have replaced the air flow meter, the O2 sensor and checked the fuel pump relay(works fine).The pump had been wired by someone before to run constantly with the key in on position.???<br>: : corrected that,(still runs fine when it decides to).<br>: : The fuel pump is also less than two years old.<br>: : When it idles cold it does sort of a fast/slow thing.<br>: : Anyone ever dealt with symptoms like this or have any ideas I would be very grateful. Thanks, Brian<p>: : 76 2002a<br>: : 68 1600<br>: : 67 1600euro<br>: : 68 1600<p>: <br>: If by "fast/slow thing" you mean the idle surges up and down, it is the idle control valve. BTDT. I understand this can also result in no-starting problems.<p>: Mike Barrett<p></i>where is the idle control valve on that car?<br>I moved the throttle position switch around but still have not solved the problem.<br>The car will start and run just when it decides to; very unpredictable.#@%%$#!

Mike Barrett
07-04-1999, 05:54 PM
<i>: : : I'm trying to solve this elusive problem with my neighbor's 633; it will sometimes just quit running or not start ,hot or cold. I have replaced the air flow meter, the O2 sensor and checked the fuel pump relay(works fine).The pump had been wired by someone before to run constantly with the key in on position.???<br>: : : corrected that,(still runs fine when it decides to).<br>: : : The fuel pump is also less than two years old.<br>: : : When it idles cold it does sort of a fast/slow thing.<br>: : : Anyone ever dealt with symptoms like this or have any ideas I would be very grateful. Thanks, Brian<p>: : : 76 2002a<br>: : : 68 1600<br>: : : 67 1600euro<br>: : : 68 1600<p>: : <br>: : If by "fast/slow thing" you mean the idle surges up and down, it is the idle control valve. BTDT. I understand this can also result in no-starting problems.<p>: : Mike Barrett<p>: where is the idle control valve on that car?<br>: I moved the throttle position switch around but still have not solved the problem.<br>: The car will start and run just when it decides to; very unpredictable.#@%%$#!<p></i><br>The idle control valve is the cylindrical device that goes into the intake bellows (the large rubber hose that connects the air flow meter and the intake manifold). There is an electrical connector on the opposite end from where it plugs into the bellows. I have read that some people get some relief from removing the ICV and cleaning the inside with carb cleaner, but I have never tried that. Also, I think the surging is indicative of an electrical fault, which would require replacement, althought the part is fairly pricey (~$175 or so).

Dennis Jackson
07-05-1999, 09:45 AM
Check the ignition wires. The same thing happened<br>to my 84 633. The lead from the coil had a leak<br>and a spark would jump to the DMW lead and shut<br>down the engine. It finally killed the Motronic<br>and after replacing the wires and the computer,<br>there have been no problems. It is cheaper to<br>replace the ignition wires, rotor and cover first!

Tom
07-11-1999, 10:58 PM
<i>: : : : I'm trying to solve this elusive problem with my neighbor's 633; it will sometimes just quit running or not start ,hot or cold. I have replaced the air flow meter, the O2 sensor and checked the fuel pump relay(works fine).The pump had been wired by someone before to run constantly with the key in on position.???<br>: : : : corrected that,(still runs fine when it decides to).<br>: : : : The fuel pump is also less than two years old.<br>: : : : When it idles cold it does sort of a fast/slow thing.<br>: : : : Anyone ever dealt with symptoms like this or have any ideas I would be very grateful. Thanks, Brian<p>: : : : 76 2002a<br>: : : : 68 1600<br>: : : : 67 1600euro<br>: : : : 68 1600<p>: : : <br>: : : If by "fast/slow thing" you mean the idle surges up and down, it is the idle control valve. BTDT. I understand this can also result in no-starting problems.<p>: : : Mike Barrett<p>: : where is the idle control valve on that car?<br>: : I moved the throttle position switch around but still have not solved the problem.<br>: : The car will start and run just when it decides to; very unpredictable.#@%%$#!<p>: <br>: The idle control valve is the cylindrical device that goes into the intake bellows (the large rubber hose that connects the air flow meter and the intake manifold). There is an electrical connector on the opposite end from where it plugs into the bellows. I have read that some people get some relief from removing the ICV and cleaning the inside with carb cleaner, but I have never tried that. Also, I think the surging is indicative of an electrical fault, which would require replacement, althought the part is fairly pricey (~$175 or so).<p></i>Check out http://www.diac.com/~cguy1/bmw/text/idle_FAQ.html. The 82-87 5 series seems to have the same idle system as discussed here. You will definitely learn much more about the sytem. Also check out http://web2.airmail.net/grills.

brian
07-13-1999, 01:36 AM
<i>: : : : : I'm trying to solve this elusive problem with my neighbor's 633; it will sometimes just quit running or not start ,hot or cold. I have replaced the air flow meter, the O2 sensor and checked the fuel pump relay(works fine).The pump had been wired by someone before to run constantly with the key in on position.???<br>: : : : : corrected that,(still runs fine when it decides to).<br>: : : : : The fuel pump is also less than two years old.<br>: : : : : When it idles cold it does sort of a fast/slow thing.<br>: : : : : Anyone ever dealt with symptoms like this or have any ideas I would be very grateful. Thanks, Brian<p>: : : : : 76 2002a<br>: : : : : 68 1600<br>: : : : : 67 1600euro<br>: : : : : 68 1600<p>: : : : <br>: : : : If by "fast/slow thing" you mean the idle surges up and down, it is the idle control valve. BTDT. I understand this can also result in no-starting problems.<p>: : : : Mike Barrett<p>: : : where is the idle control valve on that car?<br>: : : I moved the throttle position switch around but still have not solved the problem.<br>: : : The car will start and run just when it decides to; very unpredictable.#@%%$#!<p>: : <br>: : The idle control valve is the cylindrical device that goes into the intake bellows (the large rubber hose that connects the air flow meter and the intake manifold). There is an electrical connector on the opposite end from where it plugs into the bellows. I have read that some people get some relief from removing the ICV and cleaning the inside with carb cleaner, but I have never tried that. Also, I think the surging is indicative of an electrical fault, which would require replacement, althought the part is fairly pricey (~$175 or so).<p>: Check out http://www.diac.com/~cguy1/bmw/text/idle_FAQ.html. The 82-87 5 series seems to have the same idle system as discussed here. You will definitely learn much more about the sytem. Also check out http://web2.airmail.net/grills. <p></i>thanks for your help guys; I think this may have solved the mystery.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index