Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Buying '87 635csi. Need help!!

lemon
07-31-1999, 09:39 PM
Hello,<br>I am on my way to look at the car tomorrow morning and dealer has sworn that I am not going to be disappointed. He better be right - I am travelling 200mi (MA->NH->MA) just to look at it so it's better be good.<br>It's a '87 635csi w/140k mi and "immaculate condition" as it said in the ad. One owner car and I assume it has all the service records from day one. Auto, red w/black leather, again in perfect condition what I yet have to discover. He's asking $6450 but I'm sure I can get it down to 6k.<br>My questions are: I know that beemers, if looked after properly, run up to 300-400k mi easy, but what to be on lookout for for this specific model and year? I currently own an e36 ('97 318is) so I am not new to BMW world, however six series are mystery to me.<br>What are the weak spots, what are advantages? What are the specs on this model? I am going to have my mechanic to have it check out anywway, but I need to know SOMETHING to look for to see if it's even worth it.<br>Is it hard to find parts for? Expensive to maintaine? Any info on the subject is much appreciated!!!<br>Thanks a lot,<br>lemon<br>'97 318is <p>p.s. Car is believed to be for my wife, but who knows?

John G.Burns
08-01-1999, 03:02 PM
<i>: Hello,<br>: I am on my way to look at the car tomorrow morning and dealer has sworn that I am not going to be disappointed. He better be right - I am travelling 200mi (MA->NH->MA) just to look at it so it's better be good.<br>: It's a '87 635csi w/140k mi and "immaculate condition" as it said in the ad. One owner car and I assume it has all the service records from day one. Auto, red w/black leather, again in perfect condition what I yet have to discover. He's asking $6450 but I'm sure I can get it down to 6k.<br>: My questions are: I know that beemers, if looked after properly, run up to 300-400k mi easy, but what to be on lookout for for this specific model and year? I currently own an e36 ('97 318is) so I am not new to BMW world, however six series are mystery to me.<br>: What are the weak spots, what are advantages? What are the specs on this model? I am going to have my mechanic to have it check out anywway, but I need to know SOMETHING to look for to see if it's even worth it.<br>: Is it hard to find parts for? Expensive to maintaine?<p>: p.s. Car is believed to be for my wife, but who knows?<p></i><p>Sixes are great fun, my page has a good buyer's guide. Rusty front fenders and front end vibrations a re biggest problems, oh and check for a stable idle.<p>I bought mine for my fiance. Now she has my 318iS and I have the 635CSi, we both think we won ;-) The 635CSi is MUCH more fun, try to get a manual gearbox though.

Bob
08-03-1999, 01:23 AM
<br>: Hello,<br>: I am on my way to look at the car tomorrow morning and dealer has sworn that I am not going to be disappointed. He better be right - I am travelling 200mi (MA->NH->MA) just to look at it so it's better be good.<br>----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>I travelled 2000 miles to find one of my 4 BMWs. THAT might be considered extreme, BUTfor the right car at the right price be ready to travel.<p>Accept only a rust FREE example IF you want to keep it that 300-400K miles you mentioned. Unless the car was ONLY driven summers, I doubt you'll find a decent one in the Northeast salt belt.<p>My bet is on a Southwestern, a Southern Californian, or a Northwestern car. Northwest cars have no rust and seldom have sun damaged interiors (no sun 70% of the year).<p>Great cars are out there-don't accept less than perfection bodywise. The mechanicals and interior can be replaced or repaired. Rust never sleeps.<p>Bob

Brian K
08-05-1999, 04:47 PM
$6000 seems like a good price for the car. The biggest concern that I would have on that particular car is the auto trans. If it is still the original, it is very likely living on borrowed time. Not that cheap to replace.<p>The front suspension bushings also tend to go bad, again not that cheap unless you do the work yourself.<p>I'd also look carefully to make sure that it does not leak anywhere, but particularly around the master cylinder/brake booster area. Replacing the brake booster is common and again, not that cheap.<p>I'd pay to have a mechanic take a look. He should pop off the valve cover and take a look at the cam. These cars sometimes have a cam oiling problem. I'd also run a compression and/or leakdown test. I have a friend that bought an "immaculate" 533i, only to have a rude surprise upon doing a post-purchase leakdown test.<p>These are just a few specific things, in addition to the normal used car stuff (rust, etc.). I would hope that the car has not been repainted, if so, it has probably suffered some damage, the extent of which will probably be known. The long term quality of the repair will also be unknown. I'd be a bit suspicious, as the price seems a little light for a dealer car.<p><br>: Hello,<br>: I am on my way to look at the car tomorrow morning and dealer has sworn that I am not going to be disappointed. He better be right - I am travelling 200mi (MA->NH->MA) just to look at it so it's better be good.<br>: It's a '87 635csi w/140k mi and "immaculate condition" as it said in the ad. One owner car and I assume it has all the service records from day one. Auto, red w/black leather, again in perfect condition what I yet have to discover. He's asking $6450 but I'm sure I can get it down to 6k.<br>: My questions are: I know that beemers, if looked after properly, run up to 300-400k mi easy, but what to be on lookout for for this specific model and year? I currently own an e36 ('97 318is) so I am not new to BMW world, however six series are mystery to me.<br>: What are the weak spots, what are advantages? What are the specs on this model? I am going to have my mechanic to have it check out anywway, but I need to know SOMETHING to look for to see if it's even worth it.<br>: Is it hard to find parts for? Expensive to maintaine? Any info on the subject is much appreciated!!!<br>: Thanks a lot,<br>: lemon<br>: '97 318is <p>: p.s. Car is believed to be for my wife, but who knows?<p>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index