Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

robertplattbell
06-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Am I the only one to wonder what exactly is the point of this vehicle?

I own four BMWs, including an X5. The X5 is a "sport activity vehicle" in that it can tow a camper trailer (up to 6500 lbs) take a couple of kayaks on the roof, and haul a dog in the back.

And yes, I do all those things with my X5. A lot. It is a very useful vehicle for hauling things. Which is why I bought it in the first place.

But the X6.... Well, you can't get the dog in the back for starters (at least not a retired greyhound). Kayaks on the roof? I suppose so, but where is the luggage rack? I suppose the towing capacity is the same as the X5, so at least it is useful there.

But other than that, I just don't get it. They took a useful vehicle and took its greatest use (the large cargo area) OUT - leaving us with a gas-hungry SUV (13 mpg?) introduced at an inopportune time. I mean, this thing will be as popular as a Hummer!* People will be thowing rocks at it!

(And by the way, I don't get the gas milage bit. My X5 3.0 5-speed gets 20 mpg all day long. It even gets 17 towing a trailer. Does the X6 come with an anchor it drags around?)

And BMW and Mercedes have to STOP calling four-door cars (or trucks or whatever) "coupes". This thing is about as "coupe" as my Ford Pickup (at least THAT has two doors!).

If want something sporty that hauls four people in comfort, the BMW 5-series or M5 fits the bill nicely. This thing gives you the gas consumption and handling worse than the X5 with the interior room of a 5-series sedan (perhaps less).

I just don't get it. And I suspect the market won't get it either. I don't see this as a big seller for BMW. But I guess time will tell.

BMW has answered a question nobody is asking - "Gee, can I get an SUV without all the utility and interior room, but with the same crappy gas milage? Oh, and take out the rear seat headroom while you're at it!"

(Subaru tried this with their Outback sedan, a very slow seller, to say the least).

As a BMW shareholder, I am disappointed that the company wasted valuable engineering time on this project.

They say "form follows function" in a good Engineering design. But for the life of me, I cannot see what function the X6 is supposed to perform. This does not seem to be an "ultimate driving machine" but rather little more than some sort of ego enhancer or [Oops!] enlarger.

* Hummer sales have tanked with rising fuel prices. GM is talking of selling off the brand, but there is no one foolish enough to buy it. Let's face it, once the novelty wears off, who wants to drive around in a shoebox-shaped Tahoe? Or a runnning-shoe shaped X5 for that matter?

FWIW. This one ain't on my short list.

Penguin
06-11-2008, 03:23 PM
> I don't see this as a big seller for BMW. But I guess time will tell.

You're right, it probably won't be a big seller for BMW.

But it will probably sell more than the Z4, and cost a lot less to develop than the Z4, so it may be a Financial plus for the company.

KyleAtEuroBahn
06-22-2008, 11:43 AM
I agree with you 100%.

http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=44922

jtgmig
07-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Overall, I agree...

I canceled my order for the Xdrive50i. I just couldn't get past the fact that BMW removed seating for 5 for the biggest drink holder/armrest known to man.

The X6 has terrible visibility thru the rearview mirror (as bad as my 645Cic). Actually, given the height, the X6 might be worse.

Anyway, I'm waiting for my 2009 Cayenne GTS. It's due in later this month.

Laszlo
07-23-2008, 09:44 PM
and BMW can not make enough of it.

2 points you are mistaken and you forgot 2 very important point.

1. handling is better then X5. much better, almost as good as a sedan.
2. Cargo space is not important in this segment. the older X5 was a tank in that yet it was popular. the new infiniti FX35/45 has smaller trunk then the old model which had miniscule cargo space.
studies shows that in SUV's some things are unimportant - one is cargo space the other is 4x4 capabilities.

now after this what you forgot to mention why it will be a hot seller :

1. its stylish and its elegant and it is what people want. high seating position, powerful and strong engine, good handling and good "IMAGE". it screams - successful and powerful.

2. its a BMW and it has a V8 in it. anything will be sold under this market. and no its not worse then a compatible truck in mileage. you forgot that your x5 came with a manual x6 is automatic only, plus the x6 has a twin turbocharged 3.0l 300HP engine versus your truck has a normally aspirated economically more efficient 230HP engine.

the best thing about the X6 is that nobody needs it yet everybody wants it.

I don't get it and I don't get the X5 either. both are crossover vehicles with 0 appeal to anybody with a utility and capability needs. I laughed at the original X5 cargo space with my 2 door coupe ! the friend whoo bought it as a family car realized it at the 1st summer vacation. had to get a roof rack, a storage box and a trailer hitch with a platform to take a family of 5 out for 2 weeks.

nevertheless both truck (and yes the X6 is a truck not a coupe) will be a hot sales.

thank BMW to take your stocks to the roof with the X6

Penguin
07-24-2008, 10:12 PM
A recent review in the auto section of the Chicago Tribune wasn't very enthusiastic.

bmwtech2003
08-02-2008, 01:34 AM
The x6 is a niche vehicle. It is a different vehicle for different people. Not for everybody. Being the performance hungry people we are only certain versions of the x6 are being btought to our shores. There are diesel versions out there that will get better mileage but the public has shown a certain aversion to diesels before the recent gas crunch. There is also the fact that the design of this vehicle began about 7 years ago, when gas prices were halfway reasonable. The gas crunch didn't really evolve into the monster it is until the last year or so, way past the point of no return for the x6 production. would you rather have all of the research money wasted on a cancellation of the line or a remarketing project due to mileage concerns? How about the vehicle's true purpose? It handles wonderfully. I have only driven the 6cyl version and love it. As far as the v8 it will be for an elite clientele. If you are concerned about fuel mileage and utility functions then this vehicle is not for you.

DrT
09-16-2008, 02:07 PM
try backing up in a Lambo and then you'll know what zero visibility is. You rely solely on the rear view camera and are backing up while looking at the dash only!

I'm thinking about the X6 in 2009 to replace an X3, but I think it looks sexier than the Cayenne.

big8bmw
10-26-2008, 03:49 PM
1996 M850CSi

big8bmw
10-26-2008, 04:01 PM
It will sell to those who just HAVE to have the latest car to show to friends and neighbours but after the novelty wears off, and reactions to the car are negative, they will be available for peanuts, just like the normal 6-Series.1996 M850CSi

mmangiola
11-27-2008, 02:55 AM
I have the X5 (07) and a 335i conv... both cars optioned up and got very good pricing from the dealer... As much as I love the engine in the 335, you've got to be out of your mind to pay that kinda of money for a glorified hatch back... It reminds me of an old Saab, and I like the way they look... but when BMW tries to nail you ($2k) for an ipod adapter, stereo and cd changer (hello we all have ipods now we don't need the changer)and various other BS options... they can keep their hatchback.

I also drive Porsches... and this type of BS is right out of the Porsche playbook... that's why you don't buy P cars until the other guy trades it in...

Penguin
12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
> but when BMW tries to nail you ($2k) for an ipod adapter, stereo and cd changer

How is that different from the X5?

mmangiola
01-14-2009, 07:12 PM
You negotiate 10k off the price like I did... or by used with low miles like the Carrera S that I just bought and saved about 25k by buying what I wanted with 6k miles on it... and no jerking around with Porsche sales people...

Penguin
01-25-2009, 09:56 PM
From the January 15 Wall Street Journal:

"Hottest Models -- December 2008

Model Days on lot

BMW X-6 17

Honda Fit 19

Mini Cooper 20

Toyota Prius 21

Audi A5/S5 24

Dodge Challenger 26

Scion xD 38

Subaru Forester 38

Honda Civic 39

Lincoln MKS 39

Toyota Corolla 39

bobmaskell
06-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Funny I cancelled my order for a 2009 Cayenne GTS and bought a X6 5.0(Vermillon Red) and LOVE IT. The styling and the overall look SOLD me. Former Merc owner(two e series cars) and will never go back!

BG
09-27-2009, 11:56 AM
I think it will be a good profit-maker for the company, at least for a few years. BMW's marketing people have a remarkably good handle on the pulse of the car-buying public.

But, what what is really sad is that there are so many tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of lonely, insecure Americans who need this kind of machine to park in their driveway in the hope that it will enhance their prestige and self-esteem. What is just as sad is that the money that went into the purchase and operation of these things (fuel use) could have been used to buy a reasonable car and the remainder used for something valuable for their families or for society (tuition, charity, a family vacation, almost anything). For awhile during the recession, we thought era of grotesque excess might be ending, but I suspect it has not.

pcdoumas
10-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Man..If I could have a dollar for every time some libtard like you whined about your leftist views while trying to disguise them as an automotive opinion... I would have even more cash for gas guzzling cars.

Hey, moron, some of us are not broke right now. Good for those BMW shareholders, huh? Up yours and your emasculated viewpoint.

Jeezuss.

E39driver
10-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Just because you are not broke, does that mean you want to buy doofy, resource-extravagant vehicles that don't serve any obvious purpose? Even worse, vehicles that make you look dumb?

TTCarrera
12-15-2009, 11:38 AM
I love it when other people tell me what I should or should not drive.

I have an X6 M.

To be brief, it's my favorite car to drive. This above delusional poster thinks it's a big, mis-designed truck. And that he's a mainstream driver that defines everyone in America.

Get a clue. The auto market is fragmented. There is something for everyone, and des[ite his being a self-professed multi-car owner, he is claiming that because he can't carry kayaks or his wet greyhound in an X6 that no one else should have one either.

What arrogance!.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index